• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LED brake light BULBS...

new2da02

The ones pictured above are junk...now...these below are 75% better, but still not as good as the 2002 LED conversion kits being offered now from one of our own: http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-2002s/StoreFront.bok

For some temporary coverage on my car for the 2010 driving season (I have the kit from 2002s.net now), I installed these in place of backup light bulbs and ran jumpers from the positive on the brake light using a double connector adapter (radio shack) to give myself extra brake lights (and you can't see them thru the clear lens, but they light up red) Downside, you have no backup lights but they help for less than $15...pedestrian safety experts please look away.

54.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

Ever the dissenter it seems - I've run 1156 and 1157 multi-LED bulbs in the rear of my 02 since 2008 or so (from superbrightleds.com). To me and all my friends observations, they are WAY brighter and more visible - on running lights, turn signals, and most importantly brake lights that stupid OEM incandescent bulbs. Redder & whiter, brighter, increased visibility, less heat, less power.

Sorry.

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Ever the dissenter it seems - I've run 1156 and 1157 multi-LED bulbs in the rear of my 02 since 2008 or so (from superbrightleds.com). To me and all my friends observations, they are WAY brighter and more visible - on running lights, turn signals, and most importantly brake lights that stupid OEM incandescent bulbs. Redder & whiter, brighter, increased visibility, less heat, less power.

Sorry.

Tom

I wonder if some of the reason it seems better is you have a square light? or if that would even matter

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Visionaut - Which of their bulbs did you use? The 24 LED ones, or one of the others? They offer several configurations for 1156 and 1157 applications.

Thanks,

Bob Napier

Yeah, Bob. The 24 LED ones with the clear bottoms with some side/rear facing ones arrayed inside - so you get wider light distribution - with both directly rear-facing light, plus reflected light. (see attached image of lighting pattern from these.) They come in Red/Amber/White in both 1156 & 1157 styles. BTW, because they're so much cooler running, and draw less power, I even run one in that rear light location where the smaller-sized incandescent goes - with no fear of burning the lens.

I know these aren't as nice as the custom LED assemblies our fellow FAQer built/sells, but in my squarie they're still a big improvement over regular filament bulbs.

Example video of LED vs Incandescent in another older car:

I don't know why they wouldn't work in a roundie - but maybe the design of the light assy/reflectors/lens is different enough. (?)

Lastly, it's pretty obvious I'm no 02 purist, and like selectively updating to some more modern technology & appearance on my 02. Not trying to convince anyone, and all are welcome to their opinions. If you're going for period-correct, LEDs are likely not for you. (I'm also not trying to debate Dan Stern.)

HTH,

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Actually, we did some comparison testing using light meters with these and they are not as bright as either the oem incandescents or the arrays in our kit.

They require an electronic flasher (none available as straight plug-in) and they have the disadvantage of still relying on the old brass socket and zinc bulb base - so they're just as prone to corroding.

They are less expensive, but inferior stuff usually is.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet