• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Tach not working at all

slmorissette

I just reinstalled a new cluster and the Tach is not working. Can anybody fill me in on the wiring to the coil which engages the tach? It wasnt working before and thought it was due to installing non standard tachometer. Reusing Bosch blue coil, and would like to set the tach back up properly.

Tried patching a wiring from the green tach wire to the - coil terminal and got nothing.

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks guys

Shawn

what if you no longer use points? I have a crane set up (pointless ignition) I've tried the neg side of the coil, and all three wires with the crane set up and no luck?

Any suggestions?

What is the method when using pertronix? Maybe I can relate and be creative to get it to work....

Thansk for the help...

Shawn

I'm running Pertronix and the tach works fine.

Did the tach work before replacing the cluster?

If so:

There should be a black wire behind the cluster on the tach side that plugs into the male connector on the back of the tach. The same wire runs the clock on non tii cars which did not upgrade to a tachometer.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

As has been asked, did the tach work before you reinstalled the cluster? If not, Crane may not provide an 02 tach compatible output. Sorry, I haven't done the research on the Crane system, but it is not unusual for an aftermarket ignition system to require a specific tach adapter for the factory tach to work.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga