• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Hillclimb

Deilke53

This past summer my '02 took a weekend off when I got to race a Sunbeam Alpine at the Maryhill Hillclimb Hill climb in Southern WA. Incredibly twisty road/track, great event.

The new Feb issue of Victory Lane contains a short article about the race with a picture of the car. Also there's a picture of the LaCarrera 2009 winning Volvo 122s that I did a whole bunch of fab work on in 2008. What the article doesn't mention is the fantastic car show held on race weekend at the uber scenic grounds of the Sam Hill museum. All of the Hillclimb racecars (40ish) are lined up and sorta allowed to (lets say VERY VERY QUICKLY!) drive a few miles on public highways from the race paddock to the museum. Vintage race sedans and coupes look fairly normal on public roads, but open wheel racecars at speed look a waay out of the ordinary. Anyhow, Sunbeam was the featured mark of the show and with the help of some nicely done vote wrangling by its owner..my sweet ride won its class and got a trophy!

I'd recommend the whole event as a really good weekend roadtrip for any car enthusiasts..but?, its been moved back to Oct 1st & 2nd this year so perfect sunny weather isn't a guarantee.

The Victory Lane article

www.techstylesdesign.com/bmwparts/victorylane.pdf

More about the Volvo 122s build..in case you like 'em.

www.applefarmerracing.com/car.html

Michael Deilke

Whidbey Island, Washington

206-714-3379