• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

engine oil opinions

prosado

Right.

I should have mentioned that I'm talking about dinosaur oil (non-synthetic).

But does the weight matter with a rebuilt engine?

I run Joe Gibbs Racing BR (which is a 15W50 High Zink Break In Oil) on a new engine. After about 100 miles of HARD break in, I switch to Amsoil 20W50. This is a vintage racer and sometimes street car. If I was going to run the car as a daily driver in winter, I might consider a 10W40 with a ZDDP additive, depending on the oil pressure I was seeing. The zink is very important to the cam lobes on our type of engine, especially during break in. The oils approved for modern engines (API SH - SN) in xW30 weight or lighter do not have anywhere enough zink for us so I would not use any oil lighter than a 10W40 even if the engine made enough oil pressure with it.

I have also never had a leakage or consumption problem on any engine using synthetics, including a Corvair I raced. I lost no oil except when parts launched out of the block which was a common occurrence. I use Mobil 1 synthetic in every other 4 cycle engine at my house (all non-race cars, motorhome, lawnmotors and generators).

Why not go with Amsoil 10W-40 high zinc oil if you are looking towards a 10W-40? That's all I have ever used. Check their web site.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

You have bad gaskets. It aint any thinner than dino. It will wash the dino crud out and show you where the bad gaskets are at. I have no leaks and haven't used dino since 1978.

Agree. I use Red Line 15/50 synthetic, and have no leaks.

That said - I run Brad Penn 20/50 in my Porsche, and have no issues either.

Plus - it's only 5 bucks a quart.

No matter what you run, I think consensus is to run a higher viscosity oil. If it gets cold where you live, get an oil pressure gauge and be careful until the car is at operating temp. I started the 02 this morning (temp in the 40's) and oil pressure was running around 60 - 70 psi.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.