• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need a matching grill for my 1972 Tii...can anyone help???

Samplemaven

I'm near completion on my project car. As we were installing the grills, we discovered that the passenger side grill was a "shallow" grill with holes for the headlights being 7.25". The driver side grill is a deeper grill with holes for the headlights being 7.0".

I would prefer to find a driver side shallow grill with 7.25" holes for the headlights but will consider the passenger side deep grill with 7.0" holes for the headlights.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks...

post-16885-13667637393903_thumb.jpg

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368

'72 2002 Tii Inka restoration project

'07 550i Titanium Silver, steptronic...ED 2006

Jim Gerock has been looking for a passenger side shallow grill for his 73 Tii. Maybe you can email him to work something out. I'm sure he'll see this...

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

If Jim has a driver side shallow grill, I sure would like to get it from him.

IIRC - If you are using the European headlight buckets, then the shallow type grills won't look right - they do not cover the headlight.

Here is one grill I am trying to fit now with H4s. Must need some headlight bucket adjustment because it doesn't look very good.

IMG_4954.jpg

IMG_4956.jpg

LOL - I will look in the garage storage area and let you know Jim. I am installing a set of shallow grills now.

I have a spare passenger side grill but it was painted black at one point and I have tried removing the paint without success.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Just for reference - thought I would throw this out there, I just happened to take this pic in the fall.

My car is 72 euro...this is what the headlight/grille spacing looks like.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/imaging-site/services/doc/4680:437304308905/jpeg/BG

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Guest Anonymous

I have grilles from 2002s of the '69-'73 era, and I presume that they are shallow. I'll check the driver's side sections and see if I have anything decent.

E-mail me if you're interested.

Francis Ferrance

Ferrance@aol.com

Wrightwood CA

Concerning the "European" headlight bucket fit. There is a chrome trim "ring" that sandwiches between the headlamp and the mounting ring (with the three tabs). The trim ring fills up the space between the headlamps and the grill. It doesn't look like this part is used in the closeup photos. The trim ring mounted without any problems at all with my H4 Hella lamps.--Jim

I have grilles from 2002s of the '69-'73 era, and I presume that they are shallow. I'll check the driver's side sections and see if I have anything decent.

E-mail me if you're interested.

Francis Ferrance

Ferrance@aol.com

Wrightwood CA

Email sent...thanks.

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368

'72 2002 Tii Inka restoration project

'07 550i Titanium Silver, steptronic...ED 2006

Concerning the "European" headlight bucket fit. There is a chrome trim "ring" that sandwiches between the headlamp and the mounting ring (with the three tabs). The trim ring fills up the space between the headlamps and the grill. It doesn't look like this part is used in the closeup photos. The trim ring mounted without any problems at all with my H4 Hella lamps.--Jim

Here is the trim ring - can someone show us exactly how it is supposed to fit in detailed pictures?

IMG_4948.jpg

I just ran across this picture of the original Malaga 73tii featured in Automobile Magazine (writer Jamie Kittman is the owner). Note the great fit of the USA headlight and narrow grill. Wonder how I can get mine to fit this well.

1004_09_zbMW_2002tiiheadlight.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Here is the trim ring - can someone show us exactly how it is supposed to fit in detailed pictures?

IMG_4948.jpg

I just ran across this picture of the original Malaga 73tii featured in Automobile Magazine (writer Jamie Kittman is the owner). Note the great fit of the USA headlight and narrow grill. Wonder how I can get mine to fit this well.

1004_09_zbMW_2002tiiheadlight.jpg

Jim Look for the little notch on the back of your trim ring. That tells you the orientation

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

It just happens that I am not even close to installing any trim. This photo shows how the trim ring is installed first (the trim compresses a little to fit inside mounting ring with the tabs). It may take a little patience to get it to fit correctly--the little lips on the rings keep them from sliding off once tightened). The little notch on the trim ring (shown in your photo) indicates the top. Also note there is also an orientation of the trim between left and right. Good luck--Jim

post-180-13667637474215_thumb.jpg