• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trailering to The Vintage???

Samplemaven

Okay...I have my flame suit on...so I'll ask a question that may be disturbing to many/most who read the forums on FAQ.

Does anyone trailer their cars to the show in North Carolina...or do most drive their restos to the event?

When finished with my project, I'll be driving this car a lot locally and taking lengthy day trips...but it won't be my daily driver.

Once at The Vintage, I plan on driving the timed route event on Friday, but someone told me I really ought to trailer the car to the event. I have a six hour drive.

What's the deal??? Does anybody trailer?

Thanks.

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368

'72 2002 Tii Inka restoration project

'07 550i Titanium Silver, steptronic...ED 2006

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most of the nicest '02s there will have been driven in...from some considerable distances. I caravaned with Keith Kreeger in "Stella" and Bo Black in his awesome (and much admired) red '74tii almost 1000 miles a few years ago. Drive it! Hell that's half the fun.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Don't feel pressured to drive the freshly restored car unless you have worked the bugs out of it. The Vintage is a very laid back event - you don't have to worry about white gloves and Q-tips (some folks love that).

Others here have trailered their vehicles to events.

pics5292010084.jpgpics5292010085.jpg

Others like George and Blunt drove their cars from far away places!

pics5292010089.jpg

pics5292010090.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

driving to the event is 2/3 the the fun. Eleven hours last year, from here, not including the Tail of the Dragon as a diversion.

Don

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

I think you should drive it if the kinks are mostly worked out. These are extremely reliable cars. I drove mine 38000 miles last year with no problems. I just think you will enjoy the car more and feel more pride in it if you drive it to the show. jsut meet up with some guys and caravan your way with them. So if you do have an issue you have friends to help you get moving again.

But if you are thinking the car may have issues or you don't want drive it that much then trailer it.

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

I think it was 800 miles for me last year (not including a little accidental detour). I trailered w/ the family. If I go down this year, I'll drive the 02 for sure. Pulling the car on a trailer was a little stressful on the hwy & not fun.

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I'd drive.

Then again - I don't have a trailer. Or a rig to pull it with.

But I'm a firm believer of "it's the journey, not the destination".

that's me though. If you'd feel better pullin' it, pull it.

No biggie. Who gives a flip what others think?

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Clearly, trailering is expected since Scott has included information on where you can and cannot park your trailer. Do what's best for your situation and don't worry about anyone else's opinion...is what I say!

PLUS if any of your buds in the ATL area have an extreme blowout you are there to lend a way to get their injured car home. AAA is great but they won't tow you that far. LOL

1974 polaris A 4281992 (total resto with 5-spd conversion)

1976 jadegrun 2744974 (sold then killed by the new owner, grrrr!)

1976 sahara A 2392532 (sold)

1971 nevada 2571108(RIP)

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007