• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trailering to The Vintage???

Samplemaven

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd drive.

Then again - I don't have a trailer. Or a rig to pull it with.

But I'm a firm believer of "it's the journey, not the destination".

that's me though. If you'd feel better pullin' it, pull it.

No biggie. Who gives a flip what others think?

Ken

I couldn't have said it better than Ken.

My first long drive was V@V 2008. I was lucky to caravan with 12 other fanatics and had a great time on the way down. I met and made new friends on that trip that I otherwise would have missed by going alone to the event. The only glitch was a leaking o-ring on my gas tank pickup. I had to drive with the windows down due to the strong fumes.

Vintage2008Meet008.jpg

Vintage2008Meet013.jpg

Vintage2008Meet014.jpg

Vintage2008Meet012.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Vintage is a very friendly, fun event. It is not the Pebble Beach Concours. That doesn't mean we don't like shiny, nearly perfect '02's. However, it isn't terribly important to strive for perfection. Mine spends too much time in the garage --- so, a wonderful opportunity to caravan to Vintage has me eager to drive. You can trailer yours, but think of the fun you'll have DRIVING your '02. You probably don't get to do that enough. Caravan to Vintage, you won't regret it.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Do what you want. It's your car and, more importantly, your time that you have and will put into it.

I drove last year and agree with the others: half the fun or more is getting there. But my car looks like hell and I drive it all the time anyways (weather permitting).

76 BMW 2002 m20

05 Ford Focus ZX-3 SE

I would say drive it. I drove from Toronto and it was a blast. It ran like a top only a few months after I finished the resto. I took half my tool chest and needed nothing other than a Phillips screwdriver. It was a much fun as the event itself and there is a great sense of accomplishment getting it there under its' own steam. Plus with the job you have done on the resto I wouldn't sweat the condition of the car.

70 M2 2.5L 

Jim Id echo what others have said, do what makes you feel best. We all have different uses for our cars. If trailering it is your thing great, Nobody will blame you. but if you plan to drive it this summer Id leave the trailer at home, jump in a caravan and enjoy the drive. Even if the worst were to happen nobody will leave you stranded on the side of the road. 02 guys will pitch together and get you running again. Ive done 38k in mine and had a lot of fun doing it.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Do what feels best to you. Looking forward to checking out your resto!

I have driven my E21 Baur (with its very tired engine) from Atlanta to the event for the last two years. My wife enjoys the adventure and we always leave on Thursday to take our sweet time and stop as often as we want to check out the sights along the way.

This year she will probably not be able to go due to her slow recuperation from knee surgery, but I plan to drive the Baur eight hours from Deltona, FL to Atlanta on Wednesday, and then drive the six hours or so to W-S on Thursday.

012-1.jpg

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

Hate to sound like a broken record, but do what makes you happy. I had my M2 trailered from Fl. to the Vintage a couple of years ago and my Euro M5 trailered back as I wanted both cars there and could only drive one. If it were a single day's drive (about all I can personally handle without AC), I would personally drive the car and enjoy it. All that said, I did see a bumper sticker once that read "Did that trailer come with driving gloves?" Thought that was pretty good as I admire the hardcore road warriors in the group.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

I got a lot of good advice here...I'm driving the car to the show (which is how I was originally inclined).

I agree with the thought that the journey is as important as the destination. I'm getting excited about my first BMW car show.

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368

'72 2002 Tii Inka restoration project

'07 550i Titanium Silver, steptronic...ED 2006

I was disappointed that I didn't get a chance to meet you & your car. I was with the E28 crew, but intend to drive the tii this time.

I wasn't there last year...my car wasn't ready. I'll be there this year for certain. My brother and I will be there Thursday night and leave Saturday afternoon. I host a family reunion at my home every year the Sunday before Memorial Day so I'll have to get home sometime Saturday night.

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368

'72 2002 Tii Inka restoration project

'07 550i Titanium Silver, steptronic...ED 2006

A couple years back , I drove a 1600 out from California to V@V. It was a great time for sure. If your car is sorted and you have done some day drives in it to feel comfortable, then drive it like the great German engineers intended. But do what you are comfortable with. Plenty of people trailer their cars there.

My favorite sticker on a hot rod.

If this car is on a trailer call 911, it is stolen!

Joseph O'Neil

73 02 - Polaris - 2587250

67 2000 TiLux- Chamonix - 1451152