• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: SMG tranny from a wrecked new M3!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Don't know if it had a SMG tranny in it. I laughed cause the thing couldn't have been but 1000 miles on it. Looks like the driver came over on someone or someone came over on him. Either way it'll need new rockers, front fender, door, rear fender, prob some roof work done to strighten out all the pillars. Don't know if that'll reach the totaling point but it was pretty pricy wreck. I wonder if he'll have to get on a 2 year waiting list for parts :) hehehe

Kris

Guest Anonymous

I wanna be the first one on the block to have the new M3 sequential manual gearbox (SMG) in an 02. Of course I'd use the engine too, but man, that gearbox would be soooooo cool.

How long 'til we see some wrecked new M3s out there? Any leads appreciated! Hehe.

Gil

72 Tii

+ others

Guest Anonymous

Steve Wilson here in P-Town has pictures of an M3 engine where the driver missed a shift and trashed his engine. Not an uncommon story amoung the M3 crowd. Apparently under severe cornering there is a non-trivial torque twist to the tranny and you need to be a little careful in the 5 -> 4 downshift to avoid hitting 2nd.

. . . anyway. . . this individual did the much more difficult task of missing an upshift!! (3 -> 4) and pushed it into 2nd.

Clearly too much testosterone, too much money, not enough brains, and certainly an insufficient number driving schools.

Cheers!

John N.

Guest Anonymous

There's a large faction of M3 owners (not just the E30 guys) that are just like '02ers. In fact, I bought my E36 (used) b/c I liked my '02 so much. Unfortunatly, the dork factor is high, but this is primarily b/c of who BMW markets to nowdays.

Owning an E36 M3, I can testify how easy it would be to blow your engine by downshifting into the wrong gear. The tranny on these cars (and I assume the E46 also) is nothing less than INCREDIBLE. It will allow you to downshift at very high rpms with little resistance. No rev matching or double clutching needed! For example, when I first got the car, I unknowingly downshifted from 4th to 1st, and fortunately realized it as I was letting out the clutch and the revs didn't match (I always rev match my M3 and double clutch my tii). There was no resistance in the shifter to indicate that I was going into a gear that was too low. I've never done this on any car before (and am now very careful not to do it on my M). Frankly, I don't think any other car I've ever driven would let me do this. Anyway, so. . .

Josh

Guest Anonymous

This was posted to the E36 M3 board on toadfly a few months back. You can search the archives for a first hand account.

In summary, though, the guy was with a group who were out hotdogging, and made a mistake. The car went off an embankment, rolled and slid down on it's top. Amazingly, neither the driver or passenger were serously hurt. I think I remember some discussion that the car was only a month old. That's gotta suck.

Guest Anonymous

e46_m3_smgii_11_s.jpg

But the idea is spot on! Would sure make the car more livable in SF traffic, with its hills & all (it has a hill holding feature). Launch Control, anyone?

Guest Anonymous

transitions.gif

This happened back in Dec. I was riding with a friend. He didn't know the road and was trying to keep up with a bunch of S4s and he overcooked a corner. There was no guardrail and a 2' shoulder. We were both extremely fortunate to walk away without a scratch.

Car left roadway sideways, hit a tree with the trunk, flipped over on its lid (top was open) and we slid on the titanium A-pillars and the pop-up rollbar about 40 feet down the hill until we hit a rock.

FWIW, I got to drive it earlier. Awesome car. RIP.

upsidedown.jpg

offtheroad.jpg

before.jpg

after2.jpg

steep.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I know of a guy here locally..who wants to put a E46 M3 motor and tranny into an 02...he has them already from a wrecked car...

trent