• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shop workflow design and 5S

SteveJ

A friend has asked for help in redesigning his repair area for his shop. OK, it is a bicycle shop, but a lot of the automotive manufacturing processes work well elsewhere. The shop owner is ex-automotive trades, so he is good with streamlining processes.

I have Kaisen 5S training through my work, and attempt to implement some of it at home. In my garage it works, in the home I meet resistance.

Some of the areas I am addressing are their shipping area (non-existant, on the floor), incoming repairs (stacked up in the retail area), and mostly their repair and build area (disorganized and in need of a tool board).

Anybody with tips or tidbits of different shops and what works really well for these areas? Automotive, Bicycle, general retail...

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

post some pictures and a general estimate of the size. The shop I worked in re-arranged 4 times in two years after having not changed for a decade, 4th try was a charm. It's hard to give advice with out any idea of his available space.