• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tracking down the poor running issue

nbristow01

So Friday morning I start my car, 1974 02 with rebuilt mechanical dist, Crane 700 ignition, 38/38. Has always run flawlessly. Backing out of the garage and It dies. I think I killed it with the clutch. Anyway I try to start and it won't. So i go to work in the Audi. Come home, still won't start. It was acting like it was flooded. I check volts, all was good. I go ahead and put in new plugs, cap rotor (I have the crane 700 on this car)Still nothing. So I take off the air cleaner and prop open the choke flaps. And crank a while, then again then again. Finally after about 10 minutes of this it begins to try to start. Finally it starts. i let it run for about 15 minutes. Revved fine etc. Starts this morning just fine. I drive and the car hesitates and stumbles. it does it at every rmp range. Not a constant stumble like a miss, more like a fuel issue. So I replace the fuel filter. I could see sediment in the old one. Starts right up, idles fine, still bumbles and stumbles when I drive. I can drive get up to 80 but its a stumble all the way up.

So I still have no clue if this is ignition or fuel. Seems more like fuel. But when I look in the carb the fuel spray seems strong

Can anyone give me advice on other things to check? I am taking the car to my friends in the morning to see if he can figure it out but I woul dlike to save him time by eliminating things

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

REMOVE CARB TOP AFTER 6 SEC CRANKING . . . .

and if the float bowl is only 1/2 full - you got fuel delivery problem

you could still have a float, low fuel level and still have a strong stream of gas from the accelerator pump spritzer

driving under load and the stumbling you describe is a fuel starvation problem

what's yer fuel pump ?

electric? or mechanical?

using a pressure regulator ?

know what yer psi setting is?

to be cont ........................................................

TN_Brno-1969-05-25-080a.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous

So Friday morning I start my car, 1974 02 with rebuilt mechanical dist, Crane 700 ignition, 38/38. Has always run flawlessly. Backing out of the garage and It dies. I think I killed it with the clutch. Anyway I try to start and it won't. So i go to work in the Audi. Come home, still won't start. It was acting like it was flooded. I check volts, all was good. I go ahead and put in new plugs, cap rotor (I have the crane 700 on this car)Still nothing. So I take off the air cleaner and prop open the choke flaps. And crank a while, then again then again. Finally after about 10 minutes of this it begins to try to start. Finally it starts. i let it run for about 15 minutes. Revved fine etc. Starts this morning just fine. I drive and the car hesitates and stumbles. it does it at every rmp range. Not a constant stumble like a miss, more like a fuel issue. So I replace the fuel filter. I could see sediment in the old one. Starts right up, idles fine, still bumbles and stumbles when I drive. I can drive get up to 80 but its a stumble all the way up.

So I still have no clue if this is ignition or fuel. Seems more like fuel. But when I look in the carb the fuel spray seems strong

Can anyone give me advice on other things to check? I am taking the car to my friends in the morning to see if he can figure it out but I woul dlike to save him time by eliminating things

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

So for some dude who was "weened on carbs" and is fond of recalling his "musclecar days," ever thought of just checking for a spark at the plugs? So, instead of replacing spark plugs, what did the old ones look like? So, you suspect it is flooding, then why change the cap? So, do you really think that changing spark plugs is an automatic fix for not being able to start? So, here's a hint: compression, spark, fuel and air? So, good luck.

Unfortunately around here there's always one.......and there you are.

So for some dude who was "weened on carbs" and is fond of recalling his "musclecar days," ever thought of just checking for a spark at the plugs? So, instead of replacing spark plugs, what did the old ones look like? So, you suspect it is flooding, then why change the cap? So, do you really think that changing spark plugs is an automatic fix for not being able to start? So, here's a hint: compression, spark, fuel and air? So, good luck.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

So, I have never claimed to be a mechanic. I had not replaced the plugs in about 15k miles so it needed to be done anyway, and yes I checked spark. Spark seems fine. I was narrowing down to make sure if it was a spark or fuel issue. Driving to my mechanics this morning for some professoinal car help. The cowardly keyboard snipers. I bet the Kia forum needs you.

But the funny thing was your last comment: "compression, spark, fuel and air? So, good luck" No shit Sherlock.

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle