• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOOLBOX INTERCHANGABILITY

RIMSPOKE

YOU HAVE GOTTA' LOVE THE INTERCHANGEABILITY OF PARTS ON BMW's .

I HAD THE STOCK LITTLE TRUNK LID TOOLBOX IN MY E30 CONVERTIBLE .

WHILE THIS IS A NICE FEATURE , IT LEAVES YOU WANTING MORE TOOLS .

I FOUND A TOOL BOX FROM A SIMILAR VINTAGE 535i AND GOT IT WITH THE IDEA OF MOUNTING IT IN THE 325i .

I WASN'T SURE WHAT WOULD BE INVOLVED BUT I WAS AMAZED WHEN

THE TWO MOUNTING SCREWS THE E30 BOX USED LINED UP PERFECTLY WITH THE TWO INNER ONES FROM THE 5 SERIES .

THIS WAS EVEN MORE ASTONISHING WHEN I FOUND THE OUTER SCREW HOLES WERE ALREADY THERE LIKE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE THE BIG BOX !

ONCE MOUNTED , THE BOX SWINGS UP AND FASTENS DOWN JUST LIKE IT WAS MADE FOR THE CAR .

THE ONLY THING I HAD TO CHANGE WAS THE STRAP & THAT TOOK ALL OF 10 SECONDS .

BMW MUST HAVE OFFERED THE BIG TOOL KIT AS AN OPTION FOR THE E-30 . THIS WAS JUST TOO EASY .

ALL THAT's LEFT TO DO IS CUT & MOUNT A BIGGER PIECE OF FOAM .

YOU CAN GET SOME IDEA OF THE DIFFERENCE BY THE SIZE OF THE FOAM FROM THE OLD BOX .

post-2279-13667637861912_thumb.jpg

post-2279-13667637863648_thumb.jpg

reodor.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Good idea RIMSPOKE - too bad there isn't a nice one that will fit the 2002 deck lid. I asked this question here a while ago about installing the kit from either a 320i"S" or Bavaria.

But we only need a set of pliars, plug socket & a couple screw drivers for the 02! (ha)

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg