• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original 2002 Turbo in Australia

oz_tom

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Took it for an extended drive through the Adelaide Hills today - still can't wipe the grin off my face!!

Fantastic drive but really need to keep the revs up on this to feel the effect of the Turbo. As with all reports thus far, nothing prior to 4000rpm, then bang!! Takes a lot of getting used to!

Handling is no different from my tii except that there is a heck of a lot more grunt after 4500rpm!!

Really need to change the tyres currently on them though - I suspect the tyres have been on the car for far too long and are very very hard - there was so much tyre squealing going round corners it was embarrassing!

post-134-1366763812328_thumb.jpg

post-134-13667638129067_thumb.jpg

post-134-13667638132711_thumb.jpg

Fantastic!

I love the Gorge Rd. I did Classic Adelaide a couple of years ago - loved every minute of it.

Were u in a 2002 for the Classic Adel? I was in the Classic Tour in 2005 and 2006 then in the Thoroughbred Tour in 2008 - in a bright orange (Inka) 2002tii!

Photo of the car as follows.

Are you planning to do the Classic Targa Adel this year? It is in Sept - run by Octagon - the people who run Targa Tasmania.

post-19492-1366763821083_thumb.jpg

Oddly, the only claims about molded flares come from sellers, and not your casual "I've had this old car for a while" types. Dealers. And for as long as I can remember I had NEVER seen one with molded flares until the advent of world-wide marketing via the net. And that included cars from Japan. Anyone even ask BMW AG?

------------------------

why list 'em...they're all projects anyways!

• 7 months later...

Just to resurrect this thread, I was very interested to see that a 2002 Turbo was visible and doing the rounds in Australia. I have a friend who raced BMWs in South Africa (2002s especially) and he has a Touring on the water to go with his Baur cab already onshore in Oz.

I am writing a feature on these vehicles and would love to get the 2002 Turbo involved also...so to the owner, feel free to contact me here if you are interested and I can provide further details.

Howdy.

I am the owner of the other 2002 turbo here is SA. chassis 664 came from Japan in 2008 . Sat in a shed here in Adelaide until last year .It is silver with 4 speed and mahle wheels.

It too had the wheel flares bogged in,but it will be taken back to factory specs

Currently undergoing full resto .Body about to be repainted after bare metal strip down. Engine and gearbox have needed total rebuild,also nearing completion.

Car should be on the road mid 2012, looking forward to "feeling the lag"

Brilliant, thanks for sharing. Do you have a restoration thread anywhere to follow? It's great to hear that we have people passionate about these cars in Australia. There was another turbo in Japan for sale currently also, wonder if that will come out here eventually also...