• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me with ideas for a nice garage

sheggaw

I am redoing the garage and this my chance to make it look something a car buff garage. I plan to park only one car in a 2 car garage (even if I want to, it would be impossible to park). Here are the things that come to mind:

1. Work Bench / with Tool Organizer

2. Small Compressor

3. Covering the concrete floor with something..

4. Good Lighting

5. Sound system (if possible a good TV)

6. Neon signs / Vintage signs / BMW related decor....

need figuring out a color combo that fits a BMW....already got some blue & white paint for the wall...

I am checking out some car buff's garages to get some idea.

THOU SHALT DRIVE AN 02

1. Work Bench / with Tool Organizer- I bought four Craftsman rollaway bottom chests (no casters on them) and used those for my workbench bottom. 9 feet long, and stores most of my car and bicycle tools. A tall melamine cabinet at the one end stores the larger stuff. Melamine cabinets above hold small bits and books.

2. Small Compressor- I'm not a pro, so I didn't need a massive system. I did upgrade to a belt drive compressor with a 30 gallon tank. Works for me and is MUCH quieter than the direct drive compressors.

3. Covering the concrete floor with something..- I spill too much stuff. I can't imagine trying to wipe up spills with one of the fancy floor covers. Epoxy paint is a good choice, but check to see what moisture is coming up through. An anti-fatigue mat is a good choice for in front of the bench.

4. Good Lighting- In my 2 car garage I have 5 two tube, 4 foot shop lights. Plus another one in the laundry area on it's own switch. I will be adding two more 4 foot fixtures in the garage bay. Also, I need to re-install the ceiling mounted halogen task lights (IKEA) over the work benches.

5. Sound system (if possible a good TV)- I have a cheap dorm-style sound system. I screwed the speakers to the rafters above each bench. TV's are cheap now- get a good wall mount. Possibly some GCX polymount stuff. Just remember, this is the garage- dust, dirt, neglect are commom here.

6. Neon signs / Vintage signs / BMW related decor....- This is fun stuff, but can really screw your budget. As with any antique, buy what you like and buy the best you can afford. Don't buy it just 'cuz it's old or worth money, buy it 'cuz you like it or it means something to you. Target has inexpensive poster sized frames in black that will dress up the odd poster and make it look much more 'grown-up' than using thumbtacks. Street signs are cool, but don't go 'finding' these on your own. You already pay taxes. Besides, older street signs are cooler. Check surplus shops or low-budget antique stores.

need figuring out a color combo that fits a BMW....already got some blue & white paint for the wall...--Use WHITE on the walls and ceiling. It reflects light and will make the space seem larger. I was amazed how much when I changed my wall cabinets from red to white. Get color into the scheme from your accessories/decor.

I am checking out some car buff's garages to get some idea.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Great idea for a thread. I'm going through the same thing at the moment, although this is my second time around (moved into a new place).

You should check out garagejournal.com, lots of great build threads, and LOTS of great advice/reviews.

Here was my last place:

The plan:

3746851895_fb7dcd6ab4.jpg

garage by -hammer03, on Flickr

3746975655_1419caecc4.jpg

garage-tools by -hammer03, on Flickr

And then we got to work, and came up with this:

3850875983_88a2be570b.jpg

New Garage by -hammer03, on Flickr

3850875209_bd5b3f05d2.jpg

3851672296_5774d3257e.jpg

Was very satisfied with the results, it was a tight squeeze with two cars parked in there, but a great workspace when we moved things out and pulled the 2002 in the middle. Work benches on the back and right walls gave me plenty of flat space, tall storage (like a motor on a stand) under the back bench, a shelf under the bench on the right and a bunch of shelving next to the bench gave a great workspace with lots of storage. Pegboard is a wonderful thing too, Harbor Freight has hooks/rings/pegs for cheap cheap. Not the nicest/cleanest/prettiest, but it was very functional. We put up overhead lighting over the benches which was great, but I could have used more overhead and floor/sidewall lighting. More lighting is ALWAYS a good investment. That and electrical outlets (which my current place is sorely lacking)

So, my new space, as it sits now:

5463029903_1a33e0c100_z.jpg

Garage as it sits by -hammer03, on Flickr

5176324367_5b99d7d489.jpg

The stable by -hammer03, on Flickr

and the big plan, for the moment. Probably going to just put some hooks to hang shovels/ladder/etc on the right wall, and in between the two overhead doors I'll either put a workbench or if I can find a good deal, a drill press, maybe a table saw, or whatever else I find. There is also enough room that if I move the 2002 into the space between the doors, I can fit one of the Jeeps from the driveway in the garage... I think.

5463030113_812f420518_z.jpg

Garage build with tire racks by -hammer03, on Flickr

Just bought some tools, probably going to start building soon! Used Google Sketchup for the models, its a fun toy, and powerful tool. Google is awesome.

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD

I have an old micron pc that runs my 02 repair manual CD (I also have the blue books), I'm in the market to upgrade and get something cheap that will run DVD's so I can access my e60 shop manual too.

Chris C.

Computer access is a good addition. I forgot that one. Many times I will have my work laptop out there for access to the FAQ and to play internet radio. My wireless works fine in the garage.

I'll have to post some pictures- I have two sets of wheels/tires on a wall rack. I originally had some simple 1" galv pipe with street fittings screwed to the wall stud. (ala the Griots posts for $50) Worked OK, but probably maxed out and just waiting to fail. I ended up getting two of the tire racks made by Hyloft. Pretty good, but the ends of the rack stuck out from the wall well past the size of my 02 and M3 tires. We ended up welding in a new end and chopping off the point of the triangle that stuck out too far.

One thing I start to look at now is how will I lift things 10 or 20 years from now. Tire racks are lockated low on the wall. I still have room underneath for ramps, stands, and floor jack.

I want to close in the ceiling- mainly to insulate a little bit, give a finished look, and reflect more light. I was kicking around the idea of just stapling up some white Tyvek to the rafters/stringers. I don't really want to add too much weight to the ceiling, the construction of these 1960's tract homes was not designed for storing heavy stuff up there. Neighbor has a sagging roof as a result.

Steve J

& too many bikes

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55006&showall=1

Internet access in the garage at my parents house is terrible. Besides tools and organization, the four things I would put in. Cheap 26-32" LCD tv hooked up to an old computer with internet access and a basic stereo setup. I use the Logitec 2300 which is small and can go way louder than I need it to. It's also inexpensive. I cover everything with garbage bags and shop rags covering the air intakes to help keep it clean if I'm making dust. Also, mini-fridge and microwave for beer and snacks.

Make sure you have some good outlets and lots of them spread around. My dad hung 4, 8 gauge outlets from the ceiling, they hang down ~2 feet and are really nice to keep the cords from snaking around too much.

Depending on the compressor, you might want to plumb it in with a quick disconnect. I worked in a small bike shop and we had ours under a work bench with lots of sound deadening foam inside. From there we had 3 hoses hanging from the ceiling around the shop. That would be a good way to store it, keep it quite-ish while charging, and still be mobile if necessary.

I can't wait to have my own garage.

Plenty of room to actually work on a car is nice.

Plenty of light

A tall workbench that hides/muffles the compressor is a good idea

Overhead storage for spare parts

Old kitchen cabinets salvaged from a remodeling job work great

Stereo receiver with (4) speakers and satellite radio feed from the house

Drive-around access thru the main garage

All of the above describe Marshall Lytle's garage.

pics7112010009.jpg

8212010001.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I would get those T5 flourescent lights (the skinny light bulbs), we replaced our old T12 (the fat ones) in the shop, and OMG, it's like night and day! I would get rid of as much stuff that doesn't need to be in the garage (duplicate tools, old paint, and crap in general). Build floor to ceiling storage in one wall, the other wall big long bench with vise grip, drill press, etc. A compressor takes a lot of room, if you can swing it, put it outside the garage. a air hose reel would be nice, and a small refrigerator for the beer. Oh, I forgot, an air jack.

FAQ Member # 91

Do E30 M3's qualify?

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

6. Neon signs / Vintage signs / BMW related decor....- This is fun stuff, but can really screw your budget.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

The M3 served as an overly expensive cat tree. It is now a spider nursery. Sort of a land based reef, if you will.

Here are some pics of the Hyloft wheel racks. I cut the ends off that stuck out into my walkway. We welded in some angle iron at the cuts. Not as pretty and finished As I wanted, but form follows function.

Steve-garagepicsFeb2011005.jpg

And the long workbench. I used four Craftsman rollaway bases and made a simple 2x4 frame for them to sit on. Bench vise is slightly obstructed. I'd prefer to have it hanging over an open ind of a bench, but I don't have that luxury. I may move it over to the middle of the bench a bit.

Steve-garagepicsFeb2011004.jpg

Steve J

& too many bikes

• 5 months later...
The M3 served as an overly expensive cat tree. It is now a spider nursery. Sort of a land based reef, if you will.

Here are some pics of the Hyloft wheel racks. I cut the ends off that stuck out into my walkway. We welded in some angle iron at the cuts. Not as pretty and finished As I wanted, but form follows function.

Steve-garagepicsFeb2011005.jpg

And the long workbench. I used four Craftsman rollaway bases and made a simple 2x4 frame for them to sit on. Bench vise is slightly obstructed. I'd prefer to have it hanging over an open ind of a bench, but I don't have that luxury. I may move it over to the middle of the bench a bit.

Steve-garagepicsFeb2011004.jpg

The wheel ranks are really play an important role in saving place and also i looking nice to viewer.

For your workbench I would recommend either a butcher block top or a steel top. Plywood doesnt take the abuse very well (my plywood bench is falling apart.) As for a compressor get something belt drive, I am regretting this more and more with the compressor I have (33gal Husky Direct Drive), reason is the direct drives are VERY loud. Other than that the sky is the limit!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2