• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 tii electric sunroof repair

dafoto

Has anyone repaired or replaced a factory electric sunroof. The previous owner of this car didn't clean out the rear drain tubes and water backed up into the metal cassett, rusted it and destroyed the headliner. Can it be replaced/repaired? Are parts available? The sunroof actually works fine..cables ok, motor ok etc. I have not found any threads, diagrams or pictures of this assembly. It does not have a cardboard cover between the rail ribs as shown in most pictures. It is an enclosed sheet metal box..

Thanks

dennis@dafoto.com

2007 335i Dinan S3 Coupe

2005 Mini Cooper S Dinan

1974 2002tii

1969 MGB GT

Check with Blunt for parts availability...

I think (but am not sure) that contemporary Bavarias and CS coupes used the same setup, and they're (relatively) more common in the US than electric sunroof 2002s.

If it's just the housing itself, could you fabricate one from sheet metal? I'm not that familiar with 2002 electric sunroofs, because very few US spec cars came with electric sunroofs. Thus finding used parts may be difficult, but it's worth posting on the Parts Wanted board.

If worst comes to worst, you can always convert to a manual setup.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I've bought a roof with electric sunroof for my 73 tii and gave it to a local guy for recondition. New cables and motor, but sorry for my bad english. Give me a pic of the headliner (what does it mean) and i hope i can help you.

The BMW 2002 tii VIN 2719550 was manufactured on July 3rd, 1973 and delivered the same day to the BMW dealer Zeiss & Schwärzel in Mannheim. The original colour was Golf, paint code 070.

There were two different style electric sunroofs installed in '02s> The factory one and an aftermarket Webasto. Parts are rather hard to find for either. Sean Casey of Casey MotorSports in Petaluma CA has worked on both and tracked down some parts in the past. I'd give him a call at 707-519-2002 to see if he can help you.

HTH

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Don’t know about the metal part (probably long NLA) but the headliner should be the same as the manual sunroof car........I would think. That is available from various sources including BMW.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Thanks,

I will call him. Howver I took it apart today. It is a metal cassett and it appears that I can drill out the spot welds holding the bottom piece(similar to the cardboard in a standard sunroof) and replace it with a piece of galvanized or thin aluminum and be back in business. The motor works, the cables are good except one is sligetly rusted (can be cleaned) and the gear which turns rotates in the cables is also good. When finished I will do a dyi with pictures. Thanks for all your help...

dennis

2007 335i Dinan S3 Coupe

2005 Mini Cooper S Dinan

1974 2002tii

1969 MGB GT