• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idler bushing question..

Mrpink

I'm looking to replace the idler bushings and in searching have found there to be a difference between bushings needed starting around 1970 or 1971.

The BMW archive people say this about my car..."The BMW 2002 US VIN 1679026 was manufactured on December 22nd, 1970 and delivered on January 12th, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Sahara, paint code 006."

The date on the car's door tag reads 01/1971. With that info in mind, and not knowing just when the switch in bushings went from metal sleeve to plastic, can anyone tell me either when the switch happened and/or what bushings I need?

Thanks.

Ken

Mr. Pink,

I suggest you look at your front subframe to determine whether it has been replaced during the past 40 years. If so, from which model year did your current subframe come?

If you can snap a few photos, some folks here may be able to assist in determining which type of bushing you need.

Grice

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

If you can take close-up photos of the idler arm and the bushing, it may be possible to determine whether you have the new or old bushings. Two other indicators are available around the idler arm. If your subframe has a protective shield over the idler arm, you have a late model (74-76) front subframe. Earlier models didn't have the protective shield. Even if you don't have the protective shield, you might have a hole in the idler arm support indicating that there used to be a shield attached, indicating a 74-76 subframe.

If you look at the diagram in the link below, the protective shield is #9. The bolt that secures the protective shield to the idler arm support is #10. The tell tale hole in the idler arm support is the hole through which bolt #10 passes to meet washer and nut #5 and #6.

http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2215&mospid=47140&btnr=31_0435&hg=31&fg=05

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

no heat shield..no hole.

not taken apart yet, so a photo of the bushing and arm will only give an external view..will this show anything of use?

next question..are all the blue plastic sleeved bushings the same? ie..is there a difference between bushings needed for say a '72 and '76..I'm assuming not.

Guest Anonymous

One part fits both. Just get the currently available ones with the blue sleeve. If you need the old style small diameter ones you just remove the blue sleeve. Couldn't be easier.