• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning my tools = a super swell Saturday!

Deutschman

Anyone ells do spend part of today doing anything car related to put off doing other things like cleaning the bath room, shipping out car parts (thing will be shipped today ;)), or doing home work?

I did!

My girl friend is working today, so I took the opportunity to clean my tools and tool box in my bed room, while watching Saving Private Ryan.

I really need a larger tool box. My collection of tools is starting to get to the point that I can not fit them in my box and keep them organized in a way that they are easy to find. I am thinking of getting a small portable rolling box. I do not have my own garage in SF, and always barrow garage time from friend and family, so having a box that is easy to move around is a must. I am thinking about getting this one.

http://www.amazon.com/HOMAK-BK01032101-3-Drawer-Chest-Black/dp/B000K6DLHI/ref=sr_1_1?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1298756452&sr=1-1

On to some pictures. I know I do not have an expensive set of tools, but the ones I have have served me well and always get the job done. I just buy tools when I need them.

The box. My dad has the same one, and my mom found mine at a garage sale when I was maybe 12. I was super stoked!

photo-956.jpg

photo-1950.jpg

Tools.

photo-703.jpg

photo-758.jpg

photo-1075.jpg

And the crowded mess!

photo-944.jpg

photo-1179.jpg

I have a collection of larger stuff in my shed that does not fit in my box like my three jaw puller, pickle fork, brake piston compression tool set, and so on.

Feel free to share some pictures of tools set! I am sure there are other people out there today who want to waist some time!

Cheers from the German!!!

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

I SPENT MY DAY UNDER MY E-30 TRYING TO REPLACE A REAR WHEEL BEARING .

OH I GOT IT OUT ALRIGHT , JUST NOT ALL OF IT !

THE OUTER RACE IS STILL IN THE TRAILING ARM AND IS NOT BUDGING .

THERE IS ALMOST NOTHING TO GRAB ONTO TO MAKE IT BUDGE .

THE BENTLEY MANUAL SAID THAT YOU WILL DAMAGE THE BEARING GETTING IT OUT .

IT NEVER SAID THERE WOULD BE LITTLE BALLS ROLLING ALL OVER THE DRIVEWAY !

I WILL BE MAKING A PLUG THAT FITS INSIDE AND A CAP THAT WILL PULL IT OUT .

THERE IS ONLY .050" DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE SIZE OF THE HOLE IN THE BACK AND THE INNER NECK OF THE BEARING .

THAT's NOT A LOT TO GRAB ON TO BUT IT GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND AND MY PLUG WILL BE MADE OF STEEL .

TILL THEN , POOR ME GETS TO DRIVE THE 318ti AROUND . LIFE IS ROUGH .

reodor.gif

What you need to do next time is take the half shaft off the back and take the rest of the wheel assembly apart. Then find a piece of a round wood staff kind of like a thick broom handle and a 5# hammer and knock the barring out towards the rear diff. works the best and it will all go in one piece.

Cheers from the German!!!

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

I'll have to grab some pics of my tools. I have a tool box Identical to yours with a little less rust that I love! Has no tray though :/ I also have a Kennedy Machinist tool box for my smaller tools that I dont use much, someday it will have drills, taps, etc in it cause I plan to have a few machine tools :P

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I have (2) of those same Craftsman boxes. They are tough. Back when I first started working on my VW in 1993, I transferred some common tools in a Craftsman 3-drawer box that I took to my parents every weekend. Glad when that was over.

b328d635.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"