• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new daily driver... thanks for the input guys!!

Grover

A couple of weeks back I asked for some advice (about 10-15 posts below this one) about what to get as a daily driver, so my '02 can lead a slightly less harsh life. Well, yesterday I bit the bullet and picked up a '97 E36 M3 with 75k miles on it. I found it pretty hard to find a relatively low mileage one that hadn't been horribly modified but think I've found something that will suit my purposes well. The guy I bought it from was the original owner, who picked it up at the factory in Germany. He had a few mods done to it (bigger brakes, BBS wheels, Active Auto exhaust) but for the most part left it alone and had the local guru Bill Arnold keep it in nice running shape. During the PPI we uncovered a few pieces to address (hydraulic belt tension, trailing arms bushings) but for the most part the car seemed in excellent condition. Like many cars of this generation the driver's side seat bolster is toast, so I might be looking for a seat from a totalled car or something. What are the best E36 marketplaces?

Thanks again for all the input guys, I'm excited about this car as one that will be a ton of fun, but I won't be anal about (kind of how I am with my 02) and was able to pick it up for far less than I'd originally budgeted. WooHoo.

post-982-13667638578045_thumb.jpg

Nice!

Get the upper radiator neck and water pump checked out. I know two people with similar E36's that had both those problems.

Upper radiator neck (plastic) breaks with time.

Water pump impellers crack and break with time.

Have fun though. Cool car.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Wait what color is it? Estoril? Gorgeous car. Welcome to e36 ownership. Keep an eye on the cooling system and the guibo. Bimmerforums always has e36 parts for sale, they get parted out fairly often (either driver error, or turning into a track car).

Get out and enjoy it!

2752017429_afff25f3c8_z.jpg

sig by -hammer03, on Flickr

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD