• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how to remove the glass from mirror housing?

bluedevils

IIRC, the mirror glass is inserted into the ABS gasket which is then set into the 'frame', there may or may not be some sort of mastic used. You can pretty much count on breaking the glass trying to remove it

But, if you look at the Flag mirror, the arm is completely different and the mirror frame inset into the back of the frame. The trap mirrors do not have this inset, so swapping the arms will be problematic.

But, in looking at my spare flag mirror, aside from swapping the arms, if all you really want is to attach the trap mirror to the base, there is no need to remove the glass. The base and ball swivel joint simply bolts into the arm. If the trap has a threaded piece in the back of the frame, it would be as simple as just screwing the ball swivel and base to it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

On second glance, what you're trying to do is not possible.

The Trap mirror uses no arm - it's ball swivel is in the frame and uses no arm - just attaches to the base.

In simple terms, the base of the flag mirror will not mate up with the frame of the Trap mirror. You'd need a set of Trap bases for it to work properly.

These are being reproduced and so replacement parts, such as the base may be available.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

I could be wrong here (I have been known to be wrong before!).

I think the seal basically holds the glass in. You should be able to push the glass back against the spring, remove the seal, then the glass will come out.

Something like that.

If you need new seals after, I hope they fit better than the current mirror to door seal offered for a trap mirror............it’s not even close.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17