• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendation for a fire extinguisher?

Eddhead

What's the consensus on a good, dependable, and AFFORDABLE fire extinguisher to carry in the car? I haven't ever had a fire, but I guess that it's better to have one and not need it than the other way around.

Thanks in advance,

Edd in Sacramento

The BMW 1600 US VIN 1570998 was manufactured on March 9th, 1970 and delivered on March 16th, 1970 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Riviera, paint code 036.

I carry a couple of fire extinguishers that come in an aerosol can. I cant remember what brand they are, but they look like big cans of hair spray. They were only about $4 each at a local discount store and they work on oil, gas, and electrical fires.

One day I tested it by pouring some gas on the ground and lighting it. The extinguisher did a great job at putting out the fire and it was as simple as using a can of spray paint.

Hope this helped.

post-18645-13667638726525_thumb.jpg

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

I use a ColdFire system in the race car. It is also available from various vendors in a handheld extinguisher and as an aerosol can. It is water based, cleans up easily, is non corrosive and is rechargeable by you. Since it is water based, you have to make sure you get the winterized formula if you will keep it outside when it is below freezing. One of the best things about ColdFire is that it will not reflash after the fire is out like Halon or sometimes CO2, it removes the Oxygen (encapsulates the fuel source) and cools the fire removing 2 elements of the fire triangle. Because the fuel is encapsulate by ColdFire, it will not vaporize and will not reflash.

I would also recommend a metal bracket to mount the bottle instead of the cheap plastic brackets that come with some extinguishers so the extinguisher does not become a projectile in the event of an accident.

Some info on CF - http://www.coldfirewest.com/?articleID=26

Here are a few vendor of CF extinguishers, many others are around and use different cans and brackets.

http://www.rvsafetysystems.com/Handheld%20Fire%20Extinguishers.htm

http://www.macthefireguy.com/fire_safety_products.htm

This forum is about our cars, not politics or attacks

I got the Tundra ones in a can, dont know how well it works though....

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

All of the cheap extinguishers use chemicals that corrode aluminum,copper and paint Halon extinguishers while expensive do not present this problem....

Is Halon still available?

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Everyone: thanks for the input and information! The ColdFire system sounds like the way to go, and under $100 from the looks of it (but I'll do my homework on the disposables, too).

Edd in Sacramento

The BMW 1600 US VIN 1570998 was manufactured on March 9th, 1970 and delivered on March 16th, 1970 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Riviera, paint code 036.