• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

02-specific Blaupundt Frankfurt Foto?

auggiemize

I have an 02-specific Blaupunkt Frankfurt (with fitted, attached speaker below, correct knobs...) that has flaking black paint in the low ground of the faceplate...Question; was that painted by previous owner to look like a Becker/other B'punkt, or was it factory with the black low ground and needs a re-paint. The chrome under looks great and very retro, but wasn't sure what was right. The Search function was fun and informative for about and hour or so, but I'd love a correct photo. Delia seemed to have one in an old post, but I couldn't view it...thanks, Dave V. in NC

Also could use a couple of not rusty chromed hex-nuts for same radio that secure the faceplate...extras anyone? Again, thanks...

a photo would be real helpful ?

radios were supplied by 'vendors' for dealer installation

so many versions can be 'original' depending on which part of the country,

which radio supply house. . . ???

contact these folks for spare parts-=>

http://oldautoradio.com/NWdetail.php?LL=0&id=7138&year=70&brand=BMW

these are all Frankfurt's :

IMG_7471.jpg

IMG_7472.jpg

P1040458.JPG

P1040459.JPG

IMAG0279.jpg

IMAG0280.jpg

IMG_0023_resize.jpg

IMG_0024_resize.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Much thanks to all. JP's is the face plate that I have, but flaking black background paint, and the speaker is below with the plastic (obvious to me, anyway...) made to fit the bottom profile of the chrome border of the faceplate. If that made any sense...

CD, my New Year's resolution is to learn to post photos; thanks for parts tip. And you are right; the more research on the Frankfurt, the more variants I see. It seems the knobs sometime give the provenance some of the time if dealer installed. I remember the one in my old 914 with big flat-ish plastic Porsche/VW knobs, etc.

You guys are the best, Dave V. in NC

Here's the one that came with my '74. I replaced the original black knobs with the matching '02 ones and the radio sounds much better as a result. The chrome-like dial trim is painted plastic, and the green button to the right of the ash tray is now an ipod switch. Modern electronics in vintage cars look tacky.

post-754-13667638835169_thumb.jpg

'74 Amazonasgrun S/R

I have some Blaupunkts in the stash and wanted to post them to show a few of the early chrome faceplates that were available. I suspect that the black faceplates became en-vogue in the early 70s and some were simply old stock chrome ones that got painted either at the factory or by our forefathers.

Blaupunkt Montreal AM/FM (is that a tone button?)

9rsq6f.jpg

Blaupunkt Frankfort AM/FM Mono w/ Shortwave (amp attached)

ac5sly.jpg[/img]

--> 1968 2002 <--

I think you are right on the money, Ben. I am stripping the black from my faceplate, and it is the same as your Montreal faceplate exactly. The factory black was a thin coat, which is going to be tough for me to replicate with a rattle can. I have a never-been-used airbrush compressor, so maybe I can find a decent airbrush and teach myself something...Might have to be new thread time to learn from the painting crowd...Thanks for sharing the photos, Dave

Ooooh. Now I see that I don't have a proper faceplate on mine. No wonder it doesn't look flush with the console. If anyone has an extra...

e-mail me rich. i have a fancy chrome face plate that does not fit my behr console. i was looking for a simple black one like your picture.

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

Here's what Vern's looks like. It has a 7 DIN cable in the cassette plug in the back for attaching an MP3 player. The chrome on the faceplate was worn, so I painted it.

This is the cable:

http://www.everythingradio.com/3-8mmtoDin.htm

Bulb behind display:

http://www.topbulb.com/search/results.asp?REF=5009

post-754-13667638844578_thumb.jpg

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Different years came with different types of radio fascia and speaker grills.

This is my '73tii with the typical, dealer-installed Frankfurt, dash-matched knobs and plastic single speaker surround from 1973.

Note to purists: The radio with "BMW" snap-on trim ring is from a '75-'76 and not a '73.

D

post-754-13667638864744_thumb.jpg

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com