• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Insurance Help Virginia

jmr_1602

I go through my dad who has Hartford (AARP) and I have an agreed value of 5000 dollars on my car (too low I must say but not bad)

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That sucks.

Don't give up until you're satisfied with the negotiation. You may consider talking to a local appraiser; not sure if that would help or not at this point.

If you get frustrated, post here again for moral support.

GL,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

jmr,

Drop me a line via the email link, and let's chat if you'd like. I can share some information that may be useful to you since I went through the same thing last year.

William

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken

I have been with usaa for 35 years.

But not for my 02s or race car.

Never insure a unique or classic car with a normal auto policy. Always use agreed value policy through one of the specialty companies. They know how to deal with these issues and they are usually a lot cheaper.

2xM3

Never insure a unique or classic car with a normal auto policy. Always use agreed value policy through one of the specialty companies. They know how to deal with these issues and they are usually a lot cheaper.

His car is a DD though. Are there are any companies that will cover a DD as a collector car? The highest I could get mine insured on a regular policy was 1/3 of what it is w/ Hagerty.

Jason, when I did have my car insured on our regular auto policy, the "book value" was $6,800 according to the insurance company and that was 2 years ago, so you definitely have room to fight w/ your insurance company.

I'm sure William will be helpful for you since he just went through all of this.

GL-

Scott

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

cars since 1968, and I've had a number of comprehensive claims with them on my 2002s...several in the $1000-1500 range (too close encounters with coyotes, truck tire treads, large rocks and something that washed off the roof of a building and ruined paint). Never an arguement--the adjuster took one look at the car and said "fix it."

The only battle I've ever had was with State Farm when one of their insureds backed into my '69 and crumpled a fender.

But as has been pointed out, get valuations of cars in similar condition to yours. The "local market only" sounds bogus to me as a collectable car in comprable condition brings about the same price most anywhere in the country. Swamp 'em with facts and figures, comparablly priced cars, before pictures of your car etc. And deal face to face with an adjuster, preferably at your body shop of choice...

Good luck--and thanks for making me nervous about my coverage!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

How do insurance companies classify a car as a "daily driver". I have a 10,000/ year restriction on my 2002. I drive it 2-3 days a week during the spring and fall and don't put nearly that amount but during certain times of the year, it could be classified as a "daily driver".

1976 Polaris

How do insurance companies classify a car as a "daily driver". I have a 10,000/ year restriction on my 2002. I drive it 2-3 days a week during the spring and fall and don't put nearly that amount but during certain times of the year, it could be classified as a "daily driver".

Hagerty wants your collector car to be a "weekend use" or "car event" use only. And they want it parked in a locked garage. They don't keep track of miles. They ask if your collector car is atleast a 2nd vehicle, and if you use it for commuting to work. They also ask if you have any drivers under the age of 21? in your house.

You can go to their site & go through the question list for a quote. Grundy also.

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

same thing happened to me w/ my restored vw bus. burned up... they offered $1800 which was the cost of the awning alone... I had over 20K into it and massive amount of labor hours. Do not accept their offers. drag it out. provide classic auction prices, print outs from for sale here, go to a classic appraiser and show photos and receipts then submit an appraisal. they tried to pull the local, dealer sale card with me as well. no dealer sells these collector cars. It took me over 6 months before i got $9500 out of them... Their adjusters calculate time spent on adjusting and eventually want you gone.... looks bad on them if they have open cases. hold out...

76 2002, 2007 S4, 76 vw bus, 74 Airstream, 07 H2 SUT

oh, and what really got them was when i submitted actual replacement cars for sale and said "i'll take any of these and comparable replacements and i'll pay the shipping costs"... think that's what made them send their last offer.

76 2002, 2007 S4, 76 vw bus, 74 Airstream, 07 H2 SUT

ClayW (username; located in the DC area) had to go thru something like this with his 02 about a year ago (re: justifying value to insur co). He may have some useful experiences to share, but I recall him posting about his insurance company experiences and him emailing them various CL and EBAY listings to the insurance co to justify the payout. In the end, he bought back his 02 from the insur co to use for donor parts on his newest addition -- an early 1600.

Good luck and sorry about your 02.

-Marc

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst

Thanks all. The information posted thus far has been great, and has helped me organize my argument with my insurance company

So far, USAA is having their 3rd party adjusters (CCC) re-evaluating my car as we speak. I have a follow up with them on Monday.

Currently I've been printing duplicates of every ad I can find as suggested earlier. I also have every issue of Roundel from 2010 with classified ads for 02's.

I'll update as I receive more info.

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602