• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spring ride height guide for our 2002s

josh72ooh2

I'm going to share the research i did over the past week. I was looking into the different aftermarket springs that are available on our 2002s. I'm sure i left some out so feel free to chime in or add to this. Maybe it will be come a FAQ once all our homework is done...

i found info on:

HR (or H&R )

Suspension techniques ( ST )

Korman

Eibach

Ireland Eng

The one bit of information i do not have is the actual spring rates as compared to stock.

The stock spring rate can be found on the FAQ page but many of these aftermarket tables do not tell you the actual spring rate. They simply state that their springs offer excellent performance, etc etc...

H and R states they lower the car 1.25 inches.

Suspension Techniques lower the car 10mm (about a half an inch)

Korman Roadsport - .5 inch (recommended with Bilstein HD)

Korman Tracksport - 1.5 inches (Bilstein sport recommended)

Eibach - 1 inch

Ireland stage one - 1.25 inch (Bilstein HR or Sport OK)

Ireland stage two - 1.5 inches (Bilstein Sports)

Hope this is of some help to somebody in the future.

Also included are the screen shots from my research.

-Josh

post-17221-13667638876941_thumb.png

post-17221-13667638880998_thumb.png

post-17221-13667638886993_thumb.png

post-17221-13667638888828_thumb.png

post-17221-13667638889578_thumb.png

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

How about B&G S2 #08.1.005? I've been looking into these as one of the cheapest options for lowering/sport springs. I've been able to find them online for around $200 with the use of coupons from reputable sites.

post-17221-13667638892829_thumb.jpg

Those are rated with a 2 inch drop.

Part Number: 08.1.005

How about B&G S2 #08.1.005? I've been looking into these as one of the cheapest options for lowering/sport springs. I've been able to find them online for around $200 with the use of coupons from reputable sites.

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

Cool. More importantly, what are the specs for the springs? lb/inch or whatever it is...

The stock spring rate can be found on the FAQ page but many of these aftermarket tables do not tell you the actual spring rate. They simply state that their springs offer excellent performance, etc etc...

Cool. More importantly, what are the specs for the springs? lb/inch or whatever it is...

I am going blind in my old age. Didn't see that. That kind of sucks, I guess if it was really important, you could just measure spring compression using a scale, some weights and a ruler...

I am going blind in my old age. Didn't see that. That kind of sucks, I guess if it was really important, you could just measure spring compression using a scale, some weights and a ruler...

It does suck though... you really have no way to tell the actual performance without that. I'd imagine that some springs are somewhat 'progressive' too because of having tighter coils towards the top.

= and the amount of 'drop' will vary with every car

depending on year, options, changes in seats, loss

of interior trim, change in battery location, air conditioning,

stereo equipment, weight of driver, sunroof, .............

addition of roll bar/cage . . . . . . . . .

so you buys yer springs, and takes yer chances

be prepared to CUT some off.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

cars: 68-72 cars had springs that allowed the car to sit approx 1" shorter than the springs used on 73-76 cars. The reason was bumper height requirement rules that went into effect with the 1973 model year.

This difference is regardless of the aluminum spring spacers used in the front struts of all US-spec cars. Removing those and using thinner rear spring rubber perches will lower an '02 approx 3/4"

Thus with a 73-76 car you can get approx 1.5-1.75 inch lowering by removing the aluminum spacers and substituting 68-72 springs all the way around.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Is it just best to go with coilovers? Like ground control?

best?....thats hard to say.

best for what?.....

you get adjustability for ht.......

you can get all kinds of sprg rates...

but,...for a really low drop you ideally would want to cut the housings...then use a shorter insert. This way you can keep shock travel to acceptable levels...and it all adds up of course.

the best way to lower without cutting coils from existing springs. I would think this would offer best handling and ride quality. I tend to like cars alittle stiffer. Ground control offers a complete kit with shortened strut housings.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=690/CA=179

Is it just best to go with coilovers? Like ground control?

best?....thats hard to say.

best for what?.....

you get adjustability for ht.......

you can get all kinds of sprg rates...

but,...for a really low drop you ideally would want to cut the housings...then use a shorter insert. This way you can keep shock travel to acceptable levels...and it all adds up of course.

Dean....

any or all of the stock style spring sets mentioned here will lower a car.....but you will be stuck w/ their rate and ht. These sets are way more common on the faq than coilovers...due to price of course.

And many folks cut the new srings they just bought!

it really depends on what YOU want....what YOUR vision is.

most of us are aware of the GC offerings.

if price is no object....do GC..and if you dont need camber/caster adjustability, dont get the c .plates. Ask for an oe style upper spring perch.

both coilovers, and std style lowering springs will make the car handle well. Ride quality can/will be all over the map, depending on sprg. rates, shocks etc.....and of course its subjective.

H and R states they lower the car 1.25 inches.

Suspension Techniques lower the car 10mm (about a half an inch)

Korman Roadsport - .5 inch (recommended with Bilstein HD)

Korman Tracksport - 1.5 inches (Bilstein sport recommended)

Eibach - 1 inch

Ireland stage one - 1.25 inch (Bilstein HR or Sport OK)

Ireland stage two - 1.5 inches (Bilstein Sports)

I'm wondering if the H & R and the Ireland Stage I are the exact same spring and the Suspension Techniques and the Korman Roadsport and the same?

Anyone care to chime in? The "house brands" have gotta be made by someone, somewhere.

--> 1968 2002 <--