• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my new daily, sneak preview..

bluedevils

Thanks Ken. I will eventually put larger alloys and do some other few things to her. I still like the 2002/tii body style better, but these things are the closest to a 2002/tii in the feel of the seat of your pants with a touch of smoothness.

Someone pointed out in the ROUNDEL a year or two ago (maybe it was Dave Farnsworth) that BMWs have always seemed to get around 25mpg, all the way from the middle 60s up into this century. Didn't seem to matter if it was a 3 Series or a big 7 - still got around 25mpg.

Bob Napier

You will like the m42. I get around 26-27 around town and on a short highway run to my train station. I've gotten 30 on the highway-only once. The problem is that this engine BEGS to be revved so your mileage will drop down a bit if you drive it hard. Put a chip in it, short shifter(z3) and go. You can also install early model rear side windows that pop out unlike the later models. Just like an o2.

dlm ny country

post-2527-13667638934579_thumb.jpg

My ultimate goal is to transfer the M42 to one of my 2002 shells while to install a S50X variety in 318is. But it will be a while..need to sell many seat belts to achieve the ultimate..First update to be performed this weekend is to put some EVO style red seat belts in her..

Cool car AL. I had the same M42 in a 92 318is (E36) - I'm sure it has been replaced already, but keep an eye on the profile gasket.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/engine/all_m42_profile_gasket_faq.html

One of my goals in life is to buy a 91 318i 4 door with plastic hubcaps and cloth interior and no sunroof. Probably the last of the great, simple, affordable BMWs, unless you count Mini, and I don't.

-=Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

I daily drove a 318is almost just like that for 2.5 years. It was a great car until the engine committed suicide with no warning. The diff did the same thing (but was easy to replace). Other than this and the usual worn suspension pieces, it was a very reliable car. It also got 33.5 mpg on a trip from Virginia to New York and back one summer.

76 BMW 2002 m20

05 Ford Focus ZX-3 SE