• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cheap Vintage-Looking Roof Rack

ClayW

Nice job! I personally think it would look a little better if it was a little lower. It looks really high. Any way to bring it down a bit? Elaborate on how you made it please! (I'm mostly wondering what those pieces are that attach the wood part to the car.)

-Pierre WTT My E30 for 2002

Who knew that you were in Bethesda today!?!

That roof rack looks sweet!

I agree about it being a little too high. What if you were to cut the aluminum on the ends a little shorter and hang rack underneath the supports? That would drop it about a 1/2".

Lookin' good my friend. Now all the vintage rack needs is a not-so-vintage motor!

Jay

J Swift
Global Formula Racing (Oregon State University)

1972 Opel GT "Mae"

I use those same Quick-n-Easy towers myself, with a set of Yakima round bars, and they're super solid. Four bikes on a windy road and no worries.

I too would like to have it all sit lower though, trying to figure out how to achieve that.

Davin (who was in SF)

London, England

1968 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe

Pressin' on regardless . . .

Nice job! I personally think it would look a little better if it was a little lower. It looks really high. Any way to bring it down a bit? Elaborate on how you made it please! (I'm mostly wondering what those pieces are that attach the wood part to the car.)

Thanks!

Yeah, there's no way to lower the mounts....check out my project blog for more details.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

I ought to do something like that with mine.

I bought this (ski rack) in Germany in the 70s. I have hauled all sorts of things on it in the past 30 odd years.

post-375-13667639032515_thumb.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

LOOKS VINTAGE = excellent

round off the ends of your "L" stock

for a finished look

then give it the real test -

strap your brother up there .......

SAABSKIERONROOF.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

what air dam is that

(sorry to hijack)

If you are referring to my Beater; I have no clue as I inherited it with the car. It looks like it should fit a slightly narrower car, or maybe my fibreglass fenders are a little too wide?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

• 1 month later...