• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 BMW 2002tii Taiga, matching #s - San Diego

shipm_8

I am posting this on behalf of the owner, a gentleman who is not on the FAQ. A few days ago I found out the owner was planning to sell his 1972 tii, which happened to be 2 VIN numbers away from my old Tip Top. I couldn’t resist to ask whether he minded if I imposed on his time so I could meet Tip Top’s younger sister.

This car appears in top cosmetic condition. Paint is excellent, and the car's original color. There is no evidence of rust. Headliner appears new. Trunk is clean. No side markers. Top dash is good, bottom dash has one split. Recaros and back seat are in excellent condition. The motor has less than 5000 miles. La Jolla Independent (Carl Nelson) has worked on this car, which was driven by the owner for years. He’s now thinning out his collection.

This car is beautiful and ready for daily driving. I do, however, have an inka project that has my full attention these days, so I must pass on this taiga, but here it is for your consideration…with the disclaimers: I have no interest, financial or otherwise on this listing. I am just posting as a courtesy to a fellow 02er. If you are interested in the car, please contact the owner, Mark at ***.

Asking price is $19,000. Mark will entertain offers.

William

L1110519.jpg

L1110522.jpg

L1110529.jpg

L1110531.jpg

L1110536.jpg

L1110533.jpg

L1110539.jpg

L1110549.jpg

L1110551.jpg

L1110555.jpg

L1110556.jpg

L1110563.jpg

L1110565.jpg

L1110569.jpg

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken

Guest Anonymous

This is a nice piece, its right at the top of the price range, but, for $19k, you can get a cobalt....you decide, a car that looks like new at 40 years old, and has another 40 years to go, or a car that might almost last untill the payments are done..thanx, for posting such, a beautiful car

I dunno but, for this kinda money I would need something more than stock $25/set steelies? Something's up with the rear end/trunk...the aluminum strip is missing on the outside as is some of the paint on the inside. Not to disparage this seller nor the rare color in this car but, this kinda price point says this vehicle will stand up under very close scrutiny. Am I missing something here?

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

Thank you, gentlemen. I thought you might enjoy seeing this car.

Re the steelies, trim, pricing, etc... Here is my opinion: individuals take restorations in whatever direction we wish or can. A part may not be available at the time, so the person may substitute or forgo, or take a turn or whatever. Some people will be offended at absence of trim, some will see it as a clean look. Some will cry out to the heavens because the trunk lid is off a later year car, some won't care, or even notice.

From the point of view of appraisal of value, this is like any other piece of property...we look at the market, and we look at how much it would cost to reproduce and we do the math in our heads in whatever way we do math....probably with an overlay of behavioral economics and emotion too.

From the quantitative standpoint: Take a running tii, add bodywork and paint, add trim, add engine rebuild, Recaro seats, etc....even if we do most of the work ourselves....where would this asking price be in relation to our actual expenses?

Enjoy the weekend,

William

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

The story behind the trunk lid, as shared by the owner: While the car’s body was being restored, the owner needed to replace the original lid and all he could get at the time was a later-year lid. He asked the body guy to seal up the holes but, by the time the lid came back from the paint shop, the holes had not been filled in. Rather than redo and risk a paint mismatch, the owner let it be.

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

For some reason, my car has a '74+ rear lid. The (2) Roundel holes are starting to show thru (most likely body putty and not welds were used).

I can tell the Taiga car has been resprayed by the underhood photos. I think it is an interesting car with most likely great care and service by LaJolla Independent.

Someone will buy it and give it love!

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Royal Red 69 VW Squareback built 8/13/68 “Patty”

Guest Anonymous

That car is a $2500.00 car tops! The Seller should be ashamed as well as his Flunkie-salesperson. In my opinion, not worth 10 percent of asking price, too many damn flaws!!!

That car is a $2500.00 car tops! The Seller should be ashamed as well as his Flunkie-salesperson. In my opinion, not worth 10 percent of asking price, too many damn flaws!!!
Wish it was yours. I would be happy to give you 2500 for it. Believe I could fix the flaws. Price may be high but get real.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

Guest Anonymous

it amazes me, some of the comments......... 02 ppl, used to be a close knit family, lately, i've seen, several rude comments, on ads,,,,,one reason, i went from racing 911's to 02's, other than its way better racing, was the family of owners.......the $2500---$4k comments,were, nother more than rude........this is a nice piece, the price, imo is top dollar, but again, they don't make these cars any more....lets try and help this guy find a home for this car......i wish it was in my garage...n.c.

it amazes me, some of the comments......... 02 ppl, used to be a close knit family, lately, i've seen, several rude comments, on ads,,,,,one reason, i went from racing 911's to 02's, other than its way better racing, was the family of owners.......the $2500---$4k comments,were, nother more than rude........this is a nice piece, the price, imo is top dollar, but again, they don't make these cars any more....lets try and help this guy find a home for this car......i wish it was in my garage...n.c.

All very true, but '72 being the rarest and most desirable year for a tii, Taiga being arguably the scarcest color one could hope for in a tii and what appears to be an intact non-snorkel tii nose does warrant more scrutiny IMHO.

If one wanted to cosmetically alter a tii, pick a '74 Chamonix or Sahara. 19K should buy you an extremely correct and driver quality+ restored tii, regardless of model year, unless you're foolish enough to buy one at auction.

Just my 2 cents...

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

Thank you, n.c. No worries. I believe “Everybody has a right to speak freely without censorship or limitation” means what it says, but it’s good to have that belief tested every so often.

William

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

The seller would like to address a couple items, so here I am relaying his comments….

• Trunk lid was replaced because the original one had rust around the lip, and it was best replaced. At the time of the painting, the only rust-free lid available was a late one. He asked for the holes to be sealed up, but shop forgot. It was a bit of a heartbreak, but he let it go(*) and dealt with it by putting a roundel there.

• Chrome trim/strip between tail lights: USA license plate housing holes in the rear panel and for the trim were sealed off, since it has the euro rear bumper center section. Replacing the trim/strip is easy enough, and seller can provide the piece….and roundel for the back panel, but will defer to buyer to drill…

• If it is important to the new owner, seller will have the body shop seal holes on the trunk lid and have it repainted. Alternatively, seller offers the thought that it gives the car an unusual character…after all, it’s the way the car evolved over time.

• Wheels: They are from a ’74, and correct offset. Tires are new Vredesteins.

--end of relay--

(*) Letting it go, overcoming heartbreak while accepting new realities, and not allowing oneself to be trapped by dogma are, in my experience, conducive to happiness. They are also 02-like traits. Try it.

--William

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC