• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiring- handbrake switch, reverse switch on tranny

jerry

it's a dismal day in the Bay Area so I decided to pick up where I left off on the refurbishment of the 73tii wiring harness.

the wire loom that goes from the driver's side floor and through the tranny tunnel (demarcated by the presence of a rubber grommet), has TWO pairs of wires, one pair, blue/white & violet/black is broken. the other pair is brown/black and black.

I'm guessing the blue/white &violet/black is for the reverse sensor switch on the tranny.

My question:

Are the brown/black & black wires supposed to pass back INTO the handbrake switch from the tranny tunnel?

these wires are embrittled and oily. i will be splicing pliable wires in their place. it's the location of the rubber grommet that has me confused on this.

my reference harness does not have the extra pair of wires so i'm guessing it's from an earlier 12-fuse car.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I don't have a handbrake switch in my car (not sure why).

Here is the under-car harness I removed from my car when I installed the 5 speed.

There are (2) sets of wires, one for the reverse light switch and another for a possible neutral safety switch at the shift tower bracket.

pics172010002.jpg

Neutral safety switch wires

pics172010003.jpg

Reverse light wires

pics172010004.jpg

Older pictures

05e5931f.jpg

305f85e5.jpg

f80f87de.jpg

Here is another picture after I modified the original harness. The two other leads were cut and taped at the end of the sheath.

pics172010013.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

IIRC, I think that the handbrake has a single brown wire going to it. The switch simply pulls the brake signal light in the dash to ground.

HTH,

Jay

J Swift
Global Formula Racing (Oregon State University)

1972 Opel GT "Mae"

great photos!

i forgot about the location of the tranny reverse switch, as i've been dealing with 5 spds lately. i've never dealt with the 'neutral safety' switch.

looking at your last picture it appears to be routed along the bottom tranny mount and is not connected.

i think i may just repair the blue/white & black/violet wires and merely wrap up the other pair and not worry about their embrittled state.

thanks for your help

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

IIRC, I think that the handbrake has a single brown wire going to it. The switch simply pulls the brake signal light in the dash to ground.

HTH,

Jay

Here is the handbrake wire pictures I took of Marshall's Purple (formerly Malaga) 74. Brown/white single wire.

IMG_5121.jpg

IMG_5122.jpg

Jim Gerock

great photos!

i forgot about the location of the tranny reverse switch, as i've been dealing with 5 spds lately. i've never dealt with the 'neutral safety' switch.

looking at your last picture it appears to be routed along the bottom tranny mount and is not connected.

i think i may just repair the blue/white & black/violet wires and merely wrap up the other pair and not worry about their embrittled state.

thanks for your help

Those (2) other wires (very oily!) were pointed out to me by Chris Isaccson (Stone02).

Another weird one - Here is the passenger seat bottom cushion interlock connector.

0dcf74fd.jpg

Jim Gerock

LOL...when did you get those pic's jim? you have more info on my cars than I do! :-)

Not sure - I think when I borrowed your impact and compressor in December. Someone has to record this stuff - the factory certainly didn't.

Jim Gerock