• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3,000 mile oil changes?

vaneesa

I remember hearing 3,000 all the time growing up so I usually semi-stick to that since my car was made in 2000. One time I left it go to 5,000 though. My Mom told me a story when I was learning to drive how her Dad never told her about oil changes so she never got it changed it and it wrecked her car.

So how about you people?

=================================

Contract Hire

Car Leasing

I HAVE TOO MANY CARS TO KEEP UP WITH TO BOTHER WITH 3000

FOR YEARS I HAVE LET THEM GO 3333 MILES BETWEEN CHANGES .

WHENEVER AN ODOMETER CROSSES X3333 , X6666 OR X0000 . I KNOW IT's TIME

WITH THREE DIVISIONS OF 10,000 I DON'T HAVE TO WRITE ANYTHING DOWN .

THE EXCEPTION TO THIS IS THE ISETTAS . I CHANGE THEIR OIL EVERY 500 MILES . IT's JUST 1 1/2 QUARTS OF OIL & THERE IS NO FILTER .

THE SLINGER ON THE CRANK CAN GET PACKED WITH CRUD ON THOSE MOTORS

SO THE IDEA IS TO KEEP IT FROM BUILDING UP IN THE SYSTEM .

reodor.gif

Just in case you were not aware, this site is for BMW model 2002 cars that were built between 1967 and 1976. That said, I ALWAYS come to the FAQ for any car related info.

Oil changes used to be every 3k. I believe it was based on the oils that were used. The additives/detergents tend to break down and the oil fails to perform it's function. The additives have improved quite a bit from the 1970's.

Oil changes for new cars tend to run 7000 miles or even up to 15000, usually with an automatic oil change reminder when you start the car. One argument says that since the new motor is using synthetic oils, they tend to hold up better to higher miles. The other argument is that the car companies would rather you buy a new car after your motor dies in 100k miles from too few oil changes.

I belive there is a happy medium. I no longer stress about 3000 miles, I'm older now and have too many cars/stuff to keep track of. I try to get the oil changed on the 02 inbetween 4 and 5k miles. For my newer cars that run synthetics, I change out around 7000 or so. I tend to not go by their automatic system that says 15000.

Since you are thinking about the oil changes, also consider the change intervals for the other fluids in the car- Differential oil, Transmission fluid, Coolant, Brake fluid. Each has their needs and reasons for changing.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes