• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Automatic or "Stick shift" - which do you prefer?

vaneesa

When I just got my licence I was a bit nervous so I mostly drove automatic vehicles. However when I got a job and was asked to drive ( yes! you guessed it - a stick shift/standard) I was somewhat compelled to accept. After all, I did tell my boss I could drive....what was I to do? Back out like a punk? Tell him I only drive automatic vehicles and risk loosing face/rep? No Sir!

I stepped up, got behind the wheel and after about a month of constant abuse by drivers/pedestrians (because of a 'few' minor errors.....ha!) I was 'golden'.

Now, there is nothing to me like the 'stick shift'. I just love it!

So, Which do you prefer and why?

=================================

Contract Hire

Car Leasing

At a car control clinic, one of the students said they never learned to drive a stick. I heard one of my fellow instructors say, "Shame on your parents.

My friend's daughter called her dad late one night needing a ride home, saying her friend had been drinking and couldn't drive. He asked her if she had been drinking to which she said no. He asked why she didn't just drive them both home. "Her car is a stick shift." was the answer.

A good place to learn clutch feel is to find a level parking lot with a speed bump. Creep up to the bump and stop. Use the clutch and pull the front wheels up on top of the speed bump and stop. Release the clutch and roll back down. Repeat several times and you will have a feel for the clutch. Driving in traffic works too, as you found out. Stress and fear are good motivators.

I prefer to drive a stick because I feel more in control of the vehicle. I'm able to choose my gears and decide what revs I want the motor to be at for a given situation. The automatic transmissions do not always agree with what I may be doing.

There are times that I do not prefer a stick. Driving an unfamiliar or very large vehicle. It's one less thing to worry about when I am already trying to learn and compensate for the new vehicle.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I learned on a stick. All of my cars but my second (a 1970 Dodge Coronet) were manual. To me - autos are boring. I actually don't think I'd even like a flappy paddle gearbox.

Nope - I'll keep a manual thank you.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Manual cars are great except if you have to live in (or commute to) areas with bad traffic (like here in Northern VA).

I too learned to drive in a manual car ('75 Honda Civic w/4-speed).

Both of our daily drivers are autos, but the other two are sticks. My dad has a F150 V6 pickup with 5 speed manual.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Good question.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

noticed that as well ..yet since it generates some interesting conversation, why not?

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Dumb people could still click on the links in the signature, and get viruses.

That was my thought!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2