• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with some issues

ibjettin

I've been having one bad thing after another happen with my 02... To start I bought it with a rebuilt motor with high compression pistons (9.5:1?), dual weber 45's, crane ignition, tii distributor, 320i alternator, electric fuel pump, a schrick 292 cam, Pacesetter header, and 3" magniflow exhaust. It ran great! fast as stink, but i needed to tone it down to make it a more suitable daily driver. I replaced the dual webers with a 32/36 with a canon manifold, replaced the header with a factory cast manifold and it seemed to run ok from what I recall. Unfortunately I didn't drive it that much before I started having electrical issues, that turned out to be a failing voltage regulator. I replaced the regulator and the car drove like crap and would bog under load (high and low RPM's). It's fine when parked and revved but it seemed like when the second barrel would open the bogging would happen.. I tried everything with the carb and it seems to be functioning ok so i turned my attention to the crane thinking it was damaged with the failed regulator. I went to a vacuum advanced distributor and points but it still ran like crap and would bog. I replaced the spark plug wires and cap as well.

So here's my question(s)... Do i look into the carb as the issues? Fuel pump? Is it ok to run a 32/36 with a 292 cam? Exhaust too big? Or could this be a electrical issue caused by the failed regulator??

I know it's a lot to shoot out there and diagnose with what i provided, but i tried everything and just keep scratching my head...

i'll toss this out there for consideration:

a year or so ago i brought an OEM manifold to work to hog out the manifold to mimic the peanut manifold as used on a 38/38. I believe the Cannon manifold is also hogged out for use with the 38/38 carb.

the gearhead i talked with told me not to do it if i was intending to use it with the more common 32/36 carburetor. it had something to do with the draw of the air through the carburetor and some other comments i don't recall.

i took this person's advise at the time. just sharing what i heard. YMMV.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Good point, the Canon was considered as one of the possible issues.

To add to the original post. It did at one point seem to drive much better when i first did the swap. I was just talking with a buddy and he did take a drive with me and thought it ran smooth.. I unfortunately am stuck thinking about the electrical issues and can't recall personally.

put the 45's back on (or put 40's on it) and run 30-34mm chokes. it will be nice around town and still be quick when you want to drop the hammer.

putting a 32/36 on that engine is like putting run flats on an f1 car. ;-)

2xM3

If you stay with a single down draft carburettor, the 38/38 I had on a '74 2002 with the 292 cam worked well; I bought the car with a previously rebuilt motor, 9.5:1, schrick 292. There was a 32/36 on her when I bought the car, shortly after, my brother and myself went ahead and decided to put on a new 38/38, only change we made were to the idle jets, I think stock were 55's, we went to 60's., still had a slight "lopey idle" but the car ran very well with the 38/38., we could have putzed around with the main jets and air corr.'s but never got around to it. That was a great car, we also put on a new tii exhaust manifold/stock exhaust system.

Tim

Tim,

Thank you for your reply. I will be picking up a 38/38 and giving that a go. Seems the best route to go with the 292 and cannon. Eventually I will go to a tii or shorty header.

Seems I'm not the only one with similar issues...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,354802/

If you stay with a single down draft carburettor, the 38/38 I had on a '74 2002 with the 292 cam worked well; I bought the car with a previously rebuilt motor, 9.5:1, schrick 292. There was a 32/36 on her when I bought the car, shortly after, my brother and myself went ahead and decided to put on a new 38/38, only change we made were to the idle jets, I think stock were 55's, we went to 60's., still had a slight "lopey idle" but the car ran very well with the 38/38., we could have putzed around with the main jets and air corr.'s but never got around to it. That was a great car, we also put on a new tii exhaust manifold/stock exhaust system.

Tim

I'd say you'll be pretty pleased with the 38/38 once it's all adjusted/dialed in. I'm pretty sure I bought mine ( this was back in the summer of 2001 ) from Paul/Matt when they were at Maximillian, could have been Ireland Engineering though also., as Jeremy sent me some jets for the 38/38. I did get the tii manifold from Max.

Tim

• 2 months later...