• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

to Ti or not to Ti

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

1600 is rebuilt and good to go except for the 1 barrel. numbers matching!

32/36 and intake? how much more power?

or Ti installed and w/2 months "guarentee" motor pulled to install an m 42

I'm just a chump so don't take my word for it, but for some reason I think the intake and exhaust ports on a 1600 head are not the same as a 2002. So, swapping a later two barrel intake manifold may require port matching.

I could be wrong, so others please chime in. I like the idea of the ti conversion if you have access to all the fussy bits.

-=Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

I have a 1600 motor in my 2002. Im running a 32/36 weber with a cannon intake manifold. The 32/36 has a synk link kit on it so its really more like 38/38. I was having the same issue with the intake manifold that was discribed above... I ended up portmatching the head to the manifold with a dremel. Just enough meat left to make a good intake seal and runs like a champ! Loves to rev!!! Play with the 1.6L for a while. Its fun:) Havnt got around to the sidedrafts yet but some day.

Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well!

An early numbers matching 1600 is a nice thing to have. You can always stick the original engine in storage and do what you want though.

Or if you go the twin barrel carb route a Euro e21 318 has the perfect manifold with thinner runners to match the head. Even port matching a 2 litre manifold to a 1600 is going to result in a loss of potential torque IMO.

Nick

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Excellent idea - Too bad it is NLA and not easy to find in the USofA. UK or German Ebay is about our only choice.

put a wanted ad on the UK 02 forum:

http://www.02forum.co.uk

or:

http://www.bmwe21.net

There will be loads knocking about - I've got one but want to try the same on my 1600-2 as I've just come by a 32/36 as well. I'll be picking up a free 318 baur next week too, and depending on the engine I might have another that's available. Don't know yet if it's a breaker or a fixer.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Where were all these super cool compatable manifolds when I was looking for one??? The port matching took a little time but lets be honest, there's not much torch to rob from that little motor anyway. I noticed an improvment in performance. The low rpm's are for shit, but when you get them up it kicks! The sucky part is that there are not that many options for exhaust manifolds. Iv tried about a hald dozen different 2002 manifolds on my 118 head and every single one of them leaked... I finally found an early 1600 manifold. The leaks stopped.

Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well!

2nd Nick on the Euro e 21 318 intake for the two barrel. I got one from Flea Bay or here on the FAQ (don't remember) - post to WTB. 2nd Rocco on the early (67) exhaust manifold - post to WTB. Tried a 2002tii and there just isn't enough overlap on the # 2 port. It was a very small leak but the early 1600 manifold has no smog stuff and is lighter that the later smog 1600 manifold.

Pete

68 1600