• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

who all "Torques"?

new2da02

Curious as to see who torques to spec all the time...or does it matter what you are wrenching...such as in my novice mind engine would require specific torquing...but maybe certain suspension parts may not matter as much?

make sense?

I have never paid attention to torque specs in the little work I have done and was wondering what the systems on our 02's that should be close to exact....or all??

1972 BMW 2002 - M42

i torque what i can. beeing that the only torque wrench i have is a bulky 1/2" drive craftsmen i am limited . but i torqued my front suspension when i refurbished it. and as much of the engine as i could. those are probably the 2 most important that should be torqued if nothing else. drive train and suspension/steering.

wouldnt want to see one of your wheels roll past you down the street would you? lol

My elbow clicks when the required spec is reached. :)

Seriously, I'm probably a wrong person to ask/answer a question like this... I do torque wheels and oil pans, valve covers, AT trans pan gaskets. But I tighten most things by feel, and I've been told that my feel is good. :)

I've got Snap-on 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" torque wrenches, and a 90ft/lb torque stick for wheels.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

For the first few times that I'm doing a repair I haven't done before, I'll use a torque wrench. I have a sears 1/2", and a cheapie Stanley 1/4" bar/needle that I picked up at Ocean State Job lot (Mass/Rhode Island area). I'm usually paranoid, so I'll use torque wrenches when possible, till the fear of the unknown subsides. Hope this helps....

.…”Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...You've got to run like an antelope: out of control…”

- 1974 2002 Atlantikblau sunroof

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a smaller (not crazy big 1ft long 1/2 drive) torque wrench that doesn't cost a fortune?

The Beam type are most accurate and cheapest. The click type are spendier but argueably more convenient, and to some - sexier.

I have both. Use the Beam type for more critical areas.

Craftsman has an assortment and I have always had good luck with them. But they certainly aren't the only game in town.

If price is the decider, I recommend a beam type. Cheap click type torque wrenches can be questionable.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

I torque everything I can get a spec for or get the wrench on.

All machine threaded fasteners are elastic - that's how they work. They are stretched by the proper torque and so stay secure and don't rattle loose as they would if just relying on the interlocking threads.

Plus, with some multi-fastened components, such as oil pans, valve covers, waterpumps, timing covers, heads, etc. torqueing insures even tightening across the component, minimizing a potential for leaks or warpage.

Undertorqueing can mean that the fastener is inadequately stretched to do it's job. Overtorqueing can stretch the fastener beyond what it was designed for and weaken it, or more likely, cause it to snap if ever removed.

It's a developed habit and doesn't significantly add to the job time, once you develop it.

In many instances, not necessarily critical, but definitely better.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

everyone should - untill you've done it long enough

to know the 'feel' for 10 vs 30 vs 52 ft.lb.

......and the correct feel for different sized hardware

- experience - LOTS OF EXPERIENCE

but always save your hardware using a t-wrench

for wheel nut/bolts, head bolts, suspension, etc...

it's the right thing to do

AND ALWAYS USE JACK STANDS !

bmw02turborepairwPRAYERa.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Having spent many years in the aviation maintenance arena, if I have a torque value, and I can get a torque wrench on it, I torque it. Old habits die hard.

Earl

aka Snakedriver

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

100ftLbs on stock 12x1.5 lug studs? There is an accident waiting to happen.....

When I had my alloys someone on here said 85 ft/lbs was correct so I figured it should be higher with steel wheels. What should it be?

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

For years I used a torque wrench set to 75 to torque wheels. Eventually I got used to the feel of it and now just use a breaker bar.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades