• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

opinions on this vehicle? 74 2002 tii

sdcox

The front panel has been replaced - see the upper seams on top of the headlights. Those would not have been there from the factory.

Not necessarily a bad thing, just simply pointing it out.

Are you in Texas? Just buy my car. With the Metric Mechanic 2.2, it will be faster than that tii! ;-)

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

Haters, Swatch Watches...??

Who are you guys... the Political Correctness Police...???

The OP titled the thread - OPINIONS !!

He admits he's new to '02s and is seeking advice from those more knowledgeable before plunking down eight Large (Eagle Eyes I believe is how he put it).

He asked for objective replies, not some Soy Milk and Pablum response.

Yes... everyone has their own taste. Yes... there is great diversity amongst '02s and their owners.

But, there are also lots of these cars 'dressed up pretty' designed to separate you from your Benjamins, while a basketcase lurks just below the surface.

This car, for most of the reasons stated, rings all the alarm bells - 3rd party sale, modified/non-original, fresh bodywork/paint, no engine/mechanical,underside pics, priced too low. The car is heavily modded - personal taste or cover-up?

That doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad car, just that it doesn't all add up and warrants further investigation before signing on the dotted line.

Being all nice and correct isn't going to help the OP sort out whether this is a good car or not.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Best idea of all: PPI by an '02 professional

(if the car is a shiny turd, that will become evident very quickly)

(BTW: if this '02 is at Select Classics --- RUN!!!!!) -- THAT'S A RELIEF, KNOWING IT'S NOT FROM SELECT CLASSICS!!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Unlike you guys I have seen this car in person. It is a beautiful car. I did not see it on a lift but if I were in the market I would take a good look at this one. Pics do it no justice. And as far as the new paint comments??? really???? so everyone is to avoid repainted cars? Give me a break. My car has new paint and has had ZERO rust. It's amazing some people can pick a car apart from some pics alone, and not any detailed pics. I say if you are interested in the car go inspect it in person.

And no it is NOT at Select LOL. Its at a shop near town.

sdcox If you want me to swing by and see if the shop owner wil let me get better pics I wil do it, just let me know

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Unlike you guys I have seen this car in person. It is a beautiful car. I did not see it on a lift but if I were in the market I would take a good look at this one. Pics do it no justice. And as far as the new paint comments??? really???? so everyone is to avoid repainted cars? Give me a break. My car has new paint and has had ZERO rust. It's amazing some people can pick a car apart from some pics alone, and not any detailed pics. I say if you are interested in the car go inspect it in person.

And no it is NOT at Select LOL. Its at a shop near town.

sdcox If you want me to swing by and see if the shop owner wil let me get better pics I wil do it, just let me know

No kidding! I've never seen a forum rip cars apart like this one. You'd think everyone here drove Concours cars. These are 40 year old cars - they all have their bumps and bruises, otherwise they are well into five digits.

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

No kidding! I've never seen a forum rip cars apart like this one. You'd think everyone here drove Concours cars. These are 40 year old cars - they all have their bumps and bruises, otherwise they are well into five digits.

There's a difference between bumps and bruises and terminal cancer!

My '76 is such a solid car that;

a.) It's safe to drive - uni-body cars can suffer rust in critical areas causing the car to lose it's strength.

b.) It's worth investing time and money into.

These cars are seeing a popular rebirth right now and this has resulted in more 2002's on the market than we've seen for a long time. Lots of cars hidden away in barns for years (for various reasons) are reappearing and showing up on the market.

There's also a pretty big business in taking salvage cars or basketcases for minimal money, cheaply dressing them up and selling them at higher than deserved prices to unwary buyers (think back to all the flood damaged Katrina cars which flooded the market in '06 & '07). Some of their 'tricks' are to slap some bling wheels and fresh paint on it, do a simple tune up and then sell it at double or triple what they have into it.

The OP admits he's unfamiliar with the brand and sought advice from those more knowledgable. I don't read anyone's post saying absolutely do not buy this car. Many simply say to have the car thoroughly checked by someone who knows what to look for. This is sound advice for anyone buying any used car.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet