• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first foray into 2002s, hopefully good

dablues

Hello everyone! It's nice to find this community here.

So I bit the bullet. I caught the bug. I contracted the disease. I just pulled the trigger on a '75 2002 on Craigslist near Seattle.

Funny story: I'm currently teaching in China right now, not back until late July. My wife and I have a (ugh) Civic (bleh). Nice car, very reliable, and as exciting as an evening with a comatose accountant/librarian. Actually, I've known a few exciting accountant/librarians, so never mind...

Anyway, we need another car, being teachers and getting to and from school at different times. Something fun, I say. She can have the nice new Civic. So what do I get? Something reliable and cheap. Please tell me 2002s are reliable and cheap. At least easily fixable. Please. Or else I'll be killed.

My parents are picking it up for me in a week or so.

Here's the link to the Craigslist:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/2254570874.html

20021.jpg

interiory.jpg

Did I do well? I talked it down a bit. Please PLEASE tell me that my first foray into BMWs is not a bad way to start...

Nice to meet you all!

I think thats a good buy! Seems clean.

The only real problem I have is how far its rusted(at the front fender?). It could mean some cutting and welding to fix it. Although you could still drive it for quite a while before it becomes a REAL problem, but the sooner you fix rust, the better.

02's are quite reliable cars. Many people on this forum use their 2002's as daily drivers. I did for 2 years, and it never even once let e down. But as with all older cars, change fluids regularly(or inspect levels at least), put in NEW fuses, also let recore the radiator if its old, and then put in fresh fuel and enjoy!

These cars are a joy to drive, im sure you will love it as much as we do!

Regards

Jacques

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

Thank you, Jacques! I share a name with you (mine's Jean-Jacques, half French-Canadian).

I thought I was going to have to work on that rust right away anyway. I've never welded before, but have plenty of friends who do and I think it's a valuable skill to learn. Not a better way to start than on my own baby.

Thanks for the tips for keeping it happy. I'll baby this thing in an EXTREME manner.

Looks nice and congratulations. Check the brake light. It looks like the car is running at 70 mph with the dash brake light on. Could be the handbrake switch or low fluid?

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

WELCOME TO YOUR NEW ADDICTION,

money pit, reason for devorce, neighbors will hate you........

anyway - you'll have fun(?!)

tell the folks and wife to bring a nice thick

blanket when they drive it. Why you ask ?

from the looks of the seat - the non-existant

padding might let a metal spring stab them in the rear.

Not a good introduction to a new member of the family

hurry back so you can defend your position

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Hmmm, my thoughts as well; that driver's seat looks scary. You could get it repaired/restuffed/reupholstered OR you could spring for some nice E21 Recaros. Your A$$ will be hurting in that seat, trust me!

Re. brake light on: probably low on brake fluid

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Was I seeing that picture wrong or was the craigslist guy driving 70 with the parking brake on?

Nice looking car by the way! Mine's been more expensive than I expected but it's cause I keep getting myself in to ridiculous projects that aren't really necessary. Just keeping it running well shouldn't be too bad.

First off, welcome to the madness. To answer your questions in reverse, yes, the car is reliable, once you get it all sorted. Most things are easy to fix. I'm a noob, and I can do most stuff. When you get to the states, call Patrick at Midnight Motorsport. He can tell what's right and what's wrong. Also get on his mailing list. We get together every so often to head to meets, shows, etc. If your car needs work, he works at a reasonable rate, and he knows his stuff.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

I dont know about the later cars, but on my '71 that light indicates choke asweel as something else that i cant remember now. But I think hes just driving with the choke engaged.

Regards

Jacques

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...