• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Desmogging a 1975 necessary for reliability?

dablues

I know it's been talked about here before, but I'd appreciate some more feedback:

Is desmogging on a '75 really necessary? I DON'T care about power, just about reliability. I'm not very experienced in mechanical things, but I'm good at learning and WANT to learn here, on this car. Is this something I can do in a weekend or two? I just want this car to be what I think it was intended to be: a fun daily driver that, with a lot of preventative maintenance, can be very reliable. The less money spent, the better. As I said in another thread, my new baby has a nice new ANSA exhaust. I don't know if that changes anything.

Thanks for your patience with a noobie.

Guest Anonymous

Put a 32/36 on it,get Ireland engineering's distributer,remove the egr before it sucks into the intake ,and enjoy.

delk

I drive a de-smogged '75 and I think there are several threads on the process under the Forum Search section. The first thing you can do (costs nothing) is to get rid of the smog pump belt that robs a little power. Cut thru it and remove it. You need only one belt up front, the one that drives the alternator and water pump. You can also remove the pump (c.d. would probably recommend you throw it over the fence into the neighbor's pool, but first you might want to list it on the For Sale board to see if anyone in CA needs one).

As time and money permit you may want to go to a 32/36 Weber carb (there is a new one and a couple of rebuilt available right now on the For Sale board), a tii exhaust manifold (also one for sale last time I looked), but you're OK with the vacuum dizzy at this point. Just check the archieves for more info.

Bob Napier

post-19611-13667639269658_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Bob. Sounds like an easy thing to do for an ignert like me. Do you think that all this desmogging helps the engine last longer?

Jean-Jacques Tetu

Sort of.

The smog equipment makes your engine run poorly for the intended purpose of reducing harmful emissions. Aside from the fact the smog equipment is difficult and expensive to maintain and/or replace, it accomplishes it's emissions-reduction goal at the expense of power and fuel mileage. Removing it will free up your engine to function properly and more reliably.

While I'm not sure about engine longevity with outdated smog equipment, it can't hurt to have the engine run without that stuff, as it was designed. Additionally, if you're feeling a little Mother Earth guilt, you can easily tune your engine to run cleaner than it ever did with the smog equipment by properly jetting a Weber 32/36 and keeping your timing set properly.

Rip it out!

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

last longer ?

that's up to you , your skill, taking

care of it - emissions or not

It's all about proper servicing routinly

and throughly - but you need to learn what

that means, and all of the finer details.

remove EGR SYSTEM, AIR PUMP, AIR DeVERTER VALVE,

ALL BRACKETS, PIPES, HOSES, 2-WAY VACUUM

SWITCHES ON THE FIREWALL, IINSTALL PLUGS ON THE INTAKE AND REAR OF EXHAUST MANIFOLD.

Motor now happier, quieter, smoother, less negative

vibrations, better MPH, less weight, better responding.

"It's A Good Thing"

and you don't need to change a carburetor

9-out-of-10 02's don't even get full throttle opening

at the carburetor/injection pump! because the owners

just don't get it!

Sweat the small stuff first.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Good advice all around. Hey, I have a desmogged '75. A tii exhaust manifold is an improvement over your original manifold; better airflow, slight HP increase. Mine had a K&N air filter over the Weber 32/36. I changed it back to the factory setup, including the summer/winter box and orig. aircleaner. Recently removed the fan shroud and put in a tropical fan blade for better cooling. (besides, my old fan blade was beat to hell) It runs great!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz