• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old family car pics Thursday

jgerock

Just ran across more old family photos I took in 1975 and 1986. Sorry for the poor picture quality.

First up, 1969 Ford Country Squire wagon, 390V8 2-barrel carb. Sticky black vinyl seats (ouch in summer). Car was purchased new from Cope (now Cowles) Ford of Woodbridge.

Almost brand new 1975 Honda Civic CVCC 4-speed. Bottom of the rung car my dad bought new from Honda of Woodbridge in 1975.

ColfaxRoad.jpg

In the background is my neighbor's cool Triumph Spitfire, Dodge Van, Chevy pickup and I think a Dodge Colt. Down the street is I believe a Mercury.

In our driveway, the brand new 1975 Plymouth "Gold" Duster purchased from Woodbridge Chrysler Plymouth. Fake alligator vinyl roof, beige vinyl interior, no A/C, 225 CI slant six with auto. Biggest piece of crap my parent's ever purchased. We had it for about 3 years - they traded it in on a new 1978 Honda Accord LX Coupe (5-speed!).

ColfaxRoadDuster.jpg

You can see my neighbor's black Cadillac in front of the trailer.

Jumping ahead to September 1986, here is my other neighbor's 1984 Ford Bronco, his 1972 VW Fastback and my parent's 1975 Dodge D100 Pickup (another POS) they bought secondhand.

ColfaxRoadSept86.jpg

Here is a better shot of the Bronco not long after it was lifted 9". Those are 44" Ground Hawg tires with 15" diameter rims. I helped swap out the original 3.73 differentials to 4.11.

ColfaxRoadSept86Bronco.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I'm glad there are no pictures of my old family cars.

The family stable I remember growing up from the 60's to the 80's: A late 60's Ford station wagon, a 1970 or so powder blue Datsun pick up, replaced later on by a 1976 or so Datsun. There was a 1980 Oldsmobile station wagon, they replaced with another Olds, and a Chevy S10.

The most exciting vehicle my parents ever bought? A 1972 Volvo 242 4- door sedan in gold with matching velour...Is it any wonder I grew up and bought an E30M3?

We are not leaving that legacy for our son. He's grown up around 2002's, M3's, Mini Coopers.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I'm glad there are no pictures of my old family cars.

The family stable I remember growing up from the 60's to the 80's: A late 60's Ford station wagon, a 1970 or so powder blue Datsun pick up, replaced later on by a 1976 or so Datsun. There was a 1980 Oldsmobile station wagon, they replaced with another Olds, and a Chevy S10.

The most exciting vehicle my parents ever bought? A 1972 Volvo 242 4- door sedan in gold with matching velour...Is it any wonder I grew up and bought an E30M3?

We are not leaving that legacy for our son. He's grown up around 2002's, M3's, Mini Coopers.

I am not proud of my parent's automobile choices back then. No kids for me and my wife. My niece and nephew aren't too interested in my "old" cars. What the heck is going on with your M3?? THAT is what I wanted before I bought my tii.

Jim Gerock

That's pretty cool Jim.

My dad has an album of every car the family has ever owned. There are a bunch of old Polaroid pics in there. Crazy. I love it.

He filled the whole album, so now we have volume two.

What I know is in there - multiple Volvo's - 544's, 142's, and Dad's 1800ES that he bought a few days before I was born.

My first car - the 1969 Chevy Blazer we called the "orange crate". I had a compression test done once - the mechanic said "#1 is down to 15 psi". I said "you mean down 15 psi". He said "Noooo - down to 15 psi. It might fire if you change the plug every day.".

I don't know if he has pics of the 911, 2002 and the Mini in there, but I bet he does.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Trying to find the pictures, but my dad had two e34's and then an e38 I used to play in and around and "help" wash. Then right around the time I started buying my own BMW's he turned all old man on me and bought a lexus... Finally got him to trade that in on an MDX, trying to work him back up the ladder!

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD

What the heck is going on with your M3?? THAT is what I wanted before I bought my tii.

My wife and I had a short talk during the rally today. She really likes our M3. I am realizing my limitations of time and my unwillingness(which is not bad) to give up anything important- family time, vintage rallies, bicycling. I may be enlisting some select professional help to get some of the key parts of the M3 project moving again.

Steve J

& too many bikes

Ooh. The pressure has trebled.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

What the heck is going on with your M3?? THAT is what I wanted before I bought my tii.

My wife and I had a short talk during the rally today. She really likes our M3. I am realizing my limitations of time and my unwillingness(which is not bad) to give up anything important- family time, vintage rallies, bicycling. I may be enlisting some select professional help to get some of the key parts of the M3 project moving again.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Oh man, that Bronco brings back memories!

My dad had an '80 or '81 Bronco, lifted with some big ass tires. Not as high as the one in the photo, though. We would go down to Rosarito during the summer and ride that thing up and down the beach, climbing hills, sand dunes, everything! That truck was a blast! My dad finally had to sell it because he couldn't get it to pass smog. He still misses that truck. So do I.

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Hardly.

Basic management techniques- make them believe it was their idea.

Unless, of course, she now reads this post. Then I'm stuck doing it all myself with the help of FAQers. Ray, you know a thing or two about S14s, don't you? If not, perhaps you could teach me how to write these things called a 'check'?

Steve J

& too many bikes

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Hardly.

Unless, of course, she now reads this post. Then I'm stuck doing it all myself with the help of FAQers. Ray, you know a thing or two about S14s, don't you? If not, perhaps you could teach me how to write these things called a 'check'?

Pick me, pick me.

I loved working on my e30 m3! You can dooooeeeeeeeeet

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

cj's closer. ;-)

I used to know how to write a check, but I've since forgotten.

Turner has a 2.5 kit you can buy.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Hardly.

Pick me, pick me.

I loved working on my e30 m3! You can dooooeeeeeeeeet

I think he's already chosen. :b....

Steve and CJ know, and I think Jim does, but the rest of you would hate me if I told you the cars that my parents had when I was growing up. They still have most of them too.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

myself with the help of FAQers. Ray, you know a thing or two about S14s, don't you? If not, perhaps you could teach me how to write these things called a 'check'?

You guys kill me! I really laughed out loud so my wife asked me "what's so funny?".

Jim Gerock

The Bronco is beyond bad ass! Looks like it has those lights with the smiley face covers, love it! Gotta get me one!

The roof bar lights were Eagle brand (I think). The ones you are thinking about were KC Hilites brand with the yellow smiley face covers.

The lights on the bumper were crazy bright Hella's The rectangular lights on the Fastback were Carello's.

Jim Gerock