• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Search: Not just for noobs

In preparation for loaning my notquitetheratroditusedtobe 2002 to some friends for use in their engagement photos, I wanted to stifle the overpowering smell of gas in the trunk. I checked the usual suspects. O-ring under sender. Fine. Seams. Tight. Vent from rubber neck to canister. Intact. I couldn't figure it out.

But a quick search on this forum unearthed Mike Self's spot-on observation that if the short piece of line from the tank send to the plastic line is the original braided hose, even if it's not visibly leaking fuel, the braid can be hiding the leak.

Bingo.

So... even those of us who supposedly know what we're doing (ha!) benefit from the incredible brain trust and body of knowledge represented on this wonderful site.

--Rob

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

You are correct, Rob! You just made Mike Self's day!! He is in Florida now, avoiding the cold, sleet, and rain of Ohio. When I drove him to the airport Thurs. am, it was his first '02 ride/drive since early December. I drive mine when the salt has been washed away. (and it HAS with all the rain we've had lately) I didn't get to use it much last year due to a number of things, but this year it is going places!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

It's the least I can do for all the pleasure I've gotten out of reading his Roundel columns every month.

Glad that solved the problem--it sure did for me. Those braided gas hoses look nice, but the braiding can hide cracked and thus leaking rubber underneath.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite