• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggestions for a small/weird pickup truck? Datsun maybe?

KFunk

but...

521s have non-power drum brakes, single M/C and a very funky adjuster setup that rusts/corrodes. First order of business on them is to modify the adjusters so they'll work and you have brakes. They're rugged little trucks but very basic. Late ones have automatic chokes that aren't much good--get a manual choke carb from an earlier one or install a Weber 32/36.

720s are a lot more comfortable and not nearly so basic. However the pre-83s (with the seam on the box side at bed height) have rust problems along the box sides. Later 720s have a different bed side that doesn't have this problem. If you get a 720, make it a King Cab. Very useful space for storage (but not for people). I took several long trips in the 720 and it was very comfortable--has a 5 speed too.

The really early Datsuns (pre 521s) are ery slow (1200cc, 50 or so hp) but can be retrofitted with an MGB engine/trans...they practically bolt in--because the original Datsun engine is a copy of the MG engine...I'd love to find a 63-64 to restore because they're so rare. But you'll never find an unrusted one in Ohio.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

but...

521s have non-power drum brakes, single M/C and a very funky adjuster setup that rusts/corrodes. First order of business on them is to modify the adjusters so they'll work and you have brakes. They're rugged little trucks but very basic. Late ones have automatic chokes that aren't much good--get a manual choke carb from an earlier one or install a Weber 32/36.

720s are a lot more comfortable and not nearly so basic. However the pre-83s (with the seam on the box side at bed height) have rust problems along the box sides. Later 720s have a different bed side that doesn't have this problem. If you get a 720, make it a King Cab. Very useful space for storage (but not for people). I took several long trips in the 720 and it was very comfortable--has a 5 speed too.

The really early Datsuns (pre 521s) are ery slow (1200cc, 50 or so hp) but can be retrofitted with an MGB engine/trans...they practically bolt in--because the original Datsun engine is a copy of the MG engine...I'd love to find a 63-64 to restore because they're so rare. But you'll never find an unrusted one in Ohio.

cheers

mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for much for the info. I haven't gotten into researching those kind of details yet, so it's very helpful.

The 720 just doesn't have to right vintage look unfortunately. It's just plain 80's looking. Not to say I wouldn't adopt one if I found one cheap, but it's off my radar for now.

The early 60's Datsun L320 is still near the top of my list, and I've found a few decent examples for sale. Not in Ohio, but within a day's drive. That'll have to wait till I save some money, though.

I'm sure whatever I'd get will be extremely slow. My friend Ben braves Columbus traffic everyday in a 52hp VW Caddy diesel truck, so it can be done. Athens traffic is far less scary, and I often brave the streets here with only 7hp.

Right now at the top of my list though..... is a Corvair Rampside!

benLynn-rampside2.jpg

I just love the idea of the rear-engine, air-cooled, 90 degree bend in fan belt, unsafe at any speed, and the ramp going up the side to easily load a motorcycle (no need for using unsafe ramps on the back of a pickup truck). I just hope the lower region in middle of the bed is big enough to accommodate a bike though.

I've found many for sale, but most are out west....

There's also the Dodge A100, too.

1254768559_851d0362df.jpg

Then again... there's also this...thing.. for sale locally, too. The girlfriend has already said she'd be ashamed to ride in it, but I think it can be made pretty. :)

post-461-13667640776808_thumb.jpg

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

• 1 month later...