• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it advisable...

suntex01

From a collector's standpoint... Probably not. The other car will never be a Tii and will never be worth as much as a Tii.

From my standpoint as someone who doesn't have the skills or tools for extensive rust repairs, yes. The transplanted and refreshed car could run even better than a tired Tii and as long as you don't care which VIN it has you'll have just as much fun.

Lucy: 1975 Sahara

I did it, my former 74 tii was a Frankenstein, lots of bondo, rust and various body parts. I found a clean tii shell that I moved everything from my Frankenstein tii into.

Here's my project blog

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,343731/highlight,/

The key is to find a clean tii shell, they are getting harder to find.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

since you asked 'from a collector's viewpoint', i'd have to say it is absolutely not adviseable.

i once bought a salvage titled 73tii that was, for the most part, a very nice appearing car. i was horrified when i was waiting at the DMV inspection line to discover that the left front inner panel was replaced thereby eliminating the original VIN body-stamp.

i couldn't sell that car fast enough. i broke even and the next buyer didn't care.

that was a 'live and learn' experience for me.

as stated earlier, it probably makes more sense to swap bodies or keep looking rather than embark on an expensive rust repair if you can't do the work yourself.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I think if the engine numbers do not match the VIN on the rust car then I would find a good shell. Either way you have a non-numbers matching car. If the numbers on the engine match the VIN on the rusted out car then it would be more valuable to keep together. BUT you then have to decide if teh price to fix it will end up exceeding the value of the car once finished

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

there's the aluminum VIN plate riveted to the inner *right* fender just forward of the firewall.

there's a stamped VIN on the inner *right* fender (not left as i mistakenly wrote above) aft of the VIN plate, kinda in line with the windshield.

the engine number should match and is located on a flat surface just above the starter motor.

another VIN plate is riveted to the top pad just forward of the steering wheel

and if you're lucky, you should see an embossed decal on the driver's side door on the aft surface just below the door catch.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

involved, several of which were touched on in other responses. Personally, I'm a big fan of keeping original cars together wherever possible (I've seen some early Porsches and such that most rational people would consider to be beyond restoration stitched back together - all it takes is time and cubic $$$$), but in most cases, economic reality comes into the equation somewhere.

For my nickel, if:

a) it's not an original numbers matching tii to start with and

B) a rolling shell without an original numbers matching block is available or

c) you can find a tii shell (especially one with the original block, even if pretty much everything ELSE is missing), I'd definately say go for it.

The decision is bit harder if it's an otherwise unmolested, numbers matching car - if so, the extent of the rust is probably the deciding factor. If you do decide to swap everything over to a new shell and scrap the original shell, cut up the original shell after removing the vin plates and as much as possible of the right side inner fender (where the vin stamping is) and keep them (and the original car's title and license plates if they're the original plates) with the new car as part of the documentation of where the tii stuff came from.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

I just parted a '76 that had was a Tii clone. Built very well by someone in probably the late 80's. All of the Tii drivetrain, suspension, fuel pump, fuel tank, clock and air cleaner present. Any necessary brackets for the pump and air cleaner were cut from the (late 1971 build date) donor and bolted in so it appeared correct. As well as the hole for the clock.

Done well, its all good. Can't hurt the value of an orphaned 2002 shell, thats for sure.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002