• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fire extinguisher finally came in handy

schliske

On Monday after lunch, I pulled out of my driveway and heard a muffled thump. Smoke started pouring out from under the dash and the hood. I grabbed the fire extinguisher that had been riding between the front seats for about twelve years and opened the hood. Flames were pouring from the firewall all around where the fuel line comes in. One blast with the fire extinguisher put it out but the wiring and fuel hoses all around there are fried.

CARRY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER. I've got dual Weber 45 DCOE's with an electric fuel pump in the trunk, a fuel filter right after the firewall and rubber hoses with regular hose clamps. How can I improve the setup? I'm keeping the carbs, I love them. By the way, CARRY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER. If I hadn't, the car would probably still be burning. Thanks in advance! Michael '72'02

98770-add1-lg.jpg

I carry one of these to hopefully avoid a big fire and the white powder mess; on sale at www.4wheelparts.com for $120:

HalGuard is no ordinary fire extinguisher. It contains an electrically non-conductive"clean" extinguishing agent that rapidly turns into a gas. The clean agent used in HalGuard has passed extensive testing by Underwriters Laboratories, and meets FAA requirements. It can be found on commercial aircraft, and is used by airport fire fighters and on the flight line. Hand held HalGuard extinguishers are available in either compact 1.4 lb. and 2.5 lb. sizes, or larger 5 lb., 11 lb., and 15.5 lb. units. The larger sizes are USCG approved, and meet DOT requirements for the heavy duty truck market. 65 lb., and 150 lb. wheeled HalGuard extinguishers offer maximum clean agent protection for the pit lane or large facilities.

--> 1968 2002 <--

I'm glad I read this thread and thanks to the original poster. I'd forgotten that I wanted to get a fire extinguisher. As a result of this post I ordered the chrome HalGuard extinguisher from 4wheelparts. I hope I never use it. I couldn't imagine the regret I would feel if I ever needed it and didn't have it.

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

1999 M Roadster Alpine White, 1999 M Coupe Alpine White

I would suggest nothing smaller than a 2 1/2 lb. extinguisher. I used to do this for a living. Also the first thing you do is cut the ignition. If you want to avoid the problem go to braided stainles steel lines for the fuel line. G

anyone got supplier connections for fire extinguishers? This would be a great group buy, and I've got a bunch of other VW guys that would get involved. $120 is a small price to pay to save your car, even without a deal.

I carry one of those non reusable ones that comes in a spray paint like can. Havent tried one out yet...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2