• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric Sunroof dismantling

Beck180

Keep sunroof electric or convert it to hand crank.  

1. 1. Keep sunroof electric or convert it to hand crank.

The sunroof didn't work when I picked up my 74 Tii a month ago. Today, my brother in law and I took apart the factory installed electric sunroof.

I am considering converting it to a hand crank sunroof. But I feel like electric makes it pretty unique. Thoughts? I am trying to keep this car completely stock, but would an electric sunroof be considered stock? See the pictures below and tell me what you think.

The car up on jacks in my tiny city garage.

01.jpg

With the sunroof removed we found quite a bit of surface rust.

02.jpg

The metal square on the left is the metal track for the bottom of the sunroof flanked by torn bits of headliner.

03.jpg

Who ever wired the electric sunroof did a pretty crappy job. Duct tape?! Really?

06.jpg

The motor out. I figure I will hook it up to a 9V and see if it works. If not. Not sure what I should do. Convert it to a hand crank sunroof? But I feel like electric makes it pretty unique.

07.jpg

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I think you should fix the rust (and look for more under the BACK

lip too- that one's fu*ked me on Jenn's car)

and then do whichever you want to. Either could be 'original'

and given the amount of work you're gonna need to do to

get the rust fixed, you can convert it either way.

I like the cranked roof. But then, the electric on the E36 is nice, too.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I think you better fix your electric sunroof. You are right it is factory and very rare option and it's pretty cool for such an old car to have electric sunroof.

I purchased mine from Germany, but it was stuck. The motor didn't work, cables, etc. But i gave it to an old man near my home who is repairing sunroofs and he changed everything. The original Golde motor didn't work, so he used one from another car and it all works now. And i'm pretty sure your motor is not original too. My original stuck Golde motor is seating next to my PC for one year maybe, and still sitting and i'm looking at your picture which you've posted and compared them. And they don't look the same. But anyway, this is not important. Find from some junkyard good old motor and fix your sunoorf the way it has to be. This is what i did with my roof, it wasn't hard and it wasn't expensive. :)

Good luck.

The BMW 2002 tii VIN 2719550 was manufactured on July 3rd, 1973 and delivered the same day to the BMW dealer Zeiss & Schwärzel in Mannheim. The original colour was Golf, paint code 070.