• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hey Jgerock, my brother just bought a VW Bug

FunElan

Tell him congratulations!

'71 was the first year of the Super Beetle. Same flat windshield and dashboard as the Standard Bug. Major difference is the front suspension has struts in lieu of the torsion bars. They rusted just as quickly as the standard Beetles.

Watch out for rust (again) and worn out front bushings that will make it difficult to keep the car on the highway. Front wheel balance is critical on Super Beetles. They also don't like wide front rims and tires, which tend to make the handling worse than stock 15" x 4.5" wide wheels with 165-15 radial tires. I would stick with 15" x 5.5" or 6" wide wheels in the front. Some VW folks use the tires from the Smart Car for a low profile tire.

If they are lowered using Maxx Struts (from Topline Parts, CB Performance, etc), you should use special caster adjustment bushings.

Editor Ryan Price of VW Trends Magazine (RIP) did a huge restoration series in the magazine on his '71 Super Beetle. Very informative, especially all the fuel system hoses.

See here >> http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/project_cars/index.html

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

THE SUPERBEETLE HAS BEEN LOOKED DOWN UPON BY MANY IN

THE TRADITIONAL VW CROWD BUT THIS REALLY IS A BUM RAP .

THE CARS WORKED FINE WHEN THEY WERE NEW BUT MANY OF THEM DEVELOPED FRONT

END SHAKES AS THEIR SUSPENSION COMPONENTS GOT SOME AGE & WEAR ON THEM .

THEY ARE MUCH LESS FORGIVING WITH THINGS LIKE OUT OF BALANCE

OR OUT OF ROUND FRONT WHEELS AND IMPROPER ALIGNMENT .

A LOT OF THIS IS DUE TO THE SOFT RUBBER SUSPENSION BUSHINGS THAT VW USED .

THESE AILMENTS CAN USUALLY BE CURED SIMPLY AND CHEAPLY BY SWITCHING OVER TO URETHANE BUSHINGS .

reodor.gif

Thanks for the info guys! Here's a pic, he already got the eyelids on:

Well - I guess those eyelids are better than the "cats eyes". I've never been a fan of those.

How about a pic of the engine bay and interior? CA has all kinds of doo-dads to help with the emissions. That is why most VW owners like the pre-68 Beetles.

Jim Gerock

• 2 weeks later...
It took a while, but I finally got some pics of the engine bay and the interior. We already know the car was yellow at some point, then rattled black.

It looks to be in good shape! Original color may have been "Yukon Yellow".

Have your brother replace the two engine bay seals (one in the rear along the apron and a second smaller one at the firewall) to keep the engine from overheating. You must remove the engine to install them (good time for a clutch assembly, transmission mounts and clutch cable).

Al (Bluedevils) can make a nice pair of rectractable seat belts for it.

Here is an old shot of the interior in my '75 Standard Beetle (2nd VW)

VWconsole.jpg

Jim

Jim Gerock

It took a while, but I finally got some pics of the engine bay and the interior. We already know the car was yellow at some point, then rattled black.

It looks to be in good shape! Original color may have been "Yukon Yellow".

Have your brother replace the two engine bay seals (one in the rear along the apron and a second smaller one at the firewall) to keep the engine from overheating. You must remove the engine to install them (good time for a clutch assembly, transmission mounts and clutch cable).

Al (Bluedevils) can make a nice pair of rectractable seat belts for it.

Here is an old shot of the interior in my '75 Standard Beetle (2nd VW)

VWconsole.jpg

Jim

AFAIK, Yukon Yellow was a Convertible-only color available 1964 through 1970. In 1971, it became Shantung Yellow, available on Standard and Super Beetles, or Lemon Yellow on Super Convertibles.

AFAIK, Yukon Yellow was a Convertible-only color available 1964 through 1970. In 1971, it became Shantung Yellow, available on Standard and Super Beetles, or Lemon Yellow on Super Convertibles.

You are probably right - I didn't review my VW stuff for the color charts.

My '75 in the picture was "Rallye Yellow" I think.. Most VW bright colors faded pretty quickly.

Thanks for the pics Harry! PR sure has alot of VW's.

Jim

Jim Gerock

You are probably right - I didn't review my VW stuff for the color charts.

My '75 in the picture was "Rallye Yellow" I think.. Most VW bright colors faded pretty quickly.

Thanks for the pics Harry! PR sure has alot of VW's.

Jim

Yeah, the Wolfsburg West site has all the color info. I always remembered that Yukon was only on 'Verts though. Ravenna green is one of my favorites (P-914's had it too) - but then again it's like a darker, greener shade of golf so no wonder I like it so much.

-Ryan

Yeah, the Wolfsburg West site has all the color info. I always remembered that Yukon was only on 'Verts though. Ravenna green is one of my favorites (P-914's had it too) - but then again it's like a darker, greener shade of golf so no wonder I like it so much.

-Ryan

So Ryan - what VW did you own since you sound like an enthusiast?

BTW - my '71 was originally Clementine Orange. You can see the original paint on/under the dash and the rear areas. The yellow area is my patch that was welded in to replace the swiss-cheese rear parcel shelf. That was my first time using a spot weld drill bit.

33fd9b87.jpg

Jim Gerock

-Ryan

So Ryan - what VW did you own since you sound like an enthusiast?

BTW - my '71 was originally Clementine Orange. You can see the original paint on/under the dash and the rear areas. The yellow area is my patch that was welded in to replace the swiss-cheese rear parcel shelf. That was my first time using a spot weld drill bit.

33fd9b87.jpg

Yes Jim, I used to be quite enthusiastic about VWs, particularly the pre-'68 VWs - I owned a 1967 Type 113, Java Green, for ~12 years. I've moved on to other old cars but I still like VWs, and now I like all years of the air-cooled variety. ALso my younger brother has a '66 Deluxe Microbus, and is currently finishing up a restomod barndoor single cab.

Yes Jim, I used to be quite enthusiastic about VWs, particularly the pre-'68 VWs - I owned a 1967 Type 113, Java Green, for ~12 years. I've moved on to other old cars but I still like VWs, and now I like all years of the air-cooled variety. ALso my younger brother has a '66 Deluxe Microbus, and is currently finishing up a restomod barndoor single cab.

Thanks Ryan.

Here is my first car - a '66 with red interior and sunroof.

Picture from March 1983.

66BugMarch83.jpg

Jim Gerock