• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rant on non-wrenching

Kidasters

I have to spit this vitriol out somewhere, and this is where I will do it.

I've been reading a lot of places - both here and on a porsche site where people are complaining:

"This guy charged me $800 for an oil change"

"That guy charged me $500 for valve cover gasket replacement".

I just want to grab them and say "If you don't like that - then do it yourself you whiney sack of crap!"

I was a student once. I had no money. I remember changing the oil in my car in my parent's driveway. Don't tell me you don't have time. Don't tell me you don't have space. I did it it in a fricking dirt driveway once.

Granted - some tasks are more daunting that others. It's taken me MONTHS to do the interior in my 911. If you don't have time, that's one thing.

Or - if you are dropping the entire front subframe - that's another thing.

But - if nothing else - change YOUR OWN OIL.

Rant over. Pressure down......

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Ken -

I hear you but the newer cars are a pain to work on and the parts are expensive (hence the high price to take it to someone). I recently replaced the (2) air filters and (12) plugs in my wife's 2002 Mercedes. Had to buy some Torx bits to change out the (2) Mann air filters from the underside of the huge air filter box (fancy plastic engine cover). It took me (2) nights to completely change out the NGK platinum plugs (6 per side on the V6 engine. This engine has (6) coil packs fastened to the valve covers using a torx bit and each coil pack has (2) spark plug leads that are very hard to pull off the plugs.

The rear cylinders were very tough to access and I had to get creative with some socket/extension/ratchet combinations and I tore up my hands in the process. Trying to torque each plug to 25 ft-lbs. was also interesting.

The parts and tools came from RockAuto.com, so at least I saved some money there.

M-B dealership wanted $ 500.00 P&L to change the plugs. I think I hear a tensioner pulley telling me it is on the list to be replaced (along with the front control arm bushings).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I did plugs and coil packs on my E46. I also re-did the valve cover gasket, which is harder than it sounds. Included sourcing some Yamabond, as you can't get the stuff that BMW uses that's like Yamabond (even Blunt couldn't get it for me). And amen on the plugs that are back "under" the cowl. Good grief.

I just had to replace the amp in the R50 Cooper, as the Kardon one died. I had to take apart half of the trim in the back of the car (literally) in order to do that.

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against having someone do some work. I had the dealer do the 50,000 mile service on the E46 when one of the hoses on the intake failed. They can change the v-belt faster than I can. But - an oil change at the dealer (and only an oil change)? Valve cover gaskets? I'm probably going to take the 911 to a mechanic to find an oil leak that I can't find. I think it's the engine mounted oil cooler o-rings. Which can only be done by dropping the engine. Which I'm not ready to attempt yet. So, stuff like that I'm ok with. Plus - I don't know about you - but I get nervous when working on the daily. The toy cars can (and have) sit for weeks. The daily needs to work.

But oil?

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

EVERY TIME I TAKE A CAR SOMEWHERE TO HAVE SOMETHING DONE

PROFESSIONALLY , THE PRICE ALWAYS SHOCKS ME .

DO I COMPLAIN ? SURE ! IT MAKES ME SAY THAT I SHOULD HAVE DONE

THAT MYSELF .

I THEN TRY TO LEARN A LITTLE MORE ABOUT WHAT I AM DOING AND TACKLE IT MYSELF THE NEXT TIME .

THERE ARE ALWAYS EXCEPTIONS . OUT FORD TAURUS WAGON PARTS HAULER NEEDED A NEW STEERING RACK .

IT IS S COMPLICATED JOB & I REALLY DIDN'T WANT THE CAR IN PARTS ALL OVER THE DRIVEWAY FOR WEEKS .

SO I PAID A LOCAL SHOP WHO HAS ALL THE TOOLS REQUIRED AS WELL AS THE EXPERIENCE & THEY GUARANTEE THEIR WORK .

THE NEW RACK STARTED LEAKING AFTER A FEW WEEKS AND THEY FIXED IT THE SECOND TIME AROUND FOR NO CHARGE .

THAT FELT PRETTY GOOD . IF I HAD DONE IT MYSELF , IT WOULD HAVE BEEN THE RACKMARE SEQUEL .

WHEN I FIRST HEARD OF JIFFY LUBE , I THOUGHT TO MYSELF , GOOD LUCK WITH THAT ,

WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY SOMEONE TO DO A SIMPLE JOB THAT THEY CAN DO THEM SELF ?

I GUESS I MIS-JUDGED THE MARKET ON THAT ONE BUT I STILL CHANGE MY OWN OIL .

reodor.gif

David -

Rack and pinion in a Ford Taurus sounds tough. I helped a roommate install one in his girlfriend's Nissan 300ZX about 10 years ago. Never tackle that again. Changing an exhaust manifold on his sister's Toyota Corolla was a piece of cake.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

just got my 84 Silverado out of the shop yesterday. Replace all switches in steering column Labor $250. I supplied all the parts. Researched doing it myself, I passed. They also replaced motor mounts with mounts I supplied. Labor $200. Needs to be on a lift to replace. But as long as I've owned my 02 the only time it went to the shop was for a allingment.