• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Billy VS. OE Replacement. Is it just me? SOLVED

eurotrash

So I gingerly slipped in a set of HDs into a set of refreshed strut tubes. Knowing that a friend of mine had an issue recently with one sticking in a tube, I wanted to be careful. So I measured the tube depth at 17.5", but the insert will only go to 16.25" before stopping.

06341db5.jpg

Comparing the BOGE to the Billies I noticed that the HDs were the same length overall, but then saw something else..!?

54d60321.jpg

If you look closely at the line drawn on the paper you can see that there is a slight under sizing at the bottom of the BOGE insert!

63cb56f2.jpg

This has to have created some issues for others over the years.. What's the remedy? Just make sure the tube is clean, spit on it and cram it in?!

SOLUTION: (for those coming after me)

Add a little oil, as usual, and lightly tap the bottom of the tube with the insert. Mark a line on the insert first so you can monitor progress. Don't ram it so hard that it sticks. It will work it's way in and still be able to be removed.

It took me a while, but this works.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I experienced this issue recently when I installed Billy Sports in a set of powdercoated strut tubes. Screwing down the gland nuts took some crazy amount of torque, which I assumed at the time was due to a bit of powdercoating in the threads. I suspect the problem was that we were jamming the insert into the bottom of the strut tube. Time to check my strut tubes for cracks :-

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Yes - run a long sharp flat blade screw driver up and down in the bottom of the tube to clean the walls inside the tube - besure nothing is sitting on the bottom of the tube - and in some cases I''''ve had to emory the new insert clean of any paint, slather white grease on the insert and slam it down in to seat it. Your top collar nut will press it in fully when tightened.')

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

"Just make sure the tube is clean, spit on it and cram it in?!"

"Add a little oil, as usual, and lightly tap the bottom of the tube with the insert."

"Don't ram it so hard that it sticks. It will work it's way in and still be able to be removed."

Let's try to keep this PG-13 next time.

--> 1968 2002 <--

"Just make sure the tube is clean, spit on it and cram it in?!"

"Add a little oil, as usual, and lightly tap the bottom of the tube with the insert."

"Don't ram it so hard that it sticks. It will work it's way in and still be able to be removed."

Let's try to keep this PG-13 next time.

Let's not forget ...

SOLUTION: (for those coming after me)

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

So how far down should they sit? Are they supposed to be flush with the top of the tube? I think mine sat about 1/2" up, but I was still able to get a good number of turns on the nut.

-Lloyd

"Sabine" 1976 Polaris / Navy - 12+ year Inop Ebay Find. Now with Microsquirt and Cold A/C. 

So how far down should they sit? Are they supposed to be flush with the top of the tube? I think mine sat about 1/2" up, but I was still able to get a good number of turns on the nut.

-Lloyd

I had about 5 threads showing after torquing.. sound right gents?

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002