• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intro and quick question

ziff73

Hi everyone, I'm a former 02' owner that's prepping to jump back in the game soon. my question is, what do you think a 69 1600 is worth? Condition is: in need of paint and interior, and probably a little engine work. She runs, but as far as I know, there's no rust or body damage (Cali car) and my plan is to do a full resto on it over the next couple years. I'm going to look at it today and don't want to overpay....thanks!

Stephen

its hard to say with out seeing pics or seeing the car itself....... needing work, paint and inside I would not fork over much more than $500....running and stopping by itself $750.......

hopefully someone with some more experance will chime in,.....

may be snap some pics and post them>?

Without pictures, $500-$2,000. Keep in mind, paint, interior and engine work added up will make an affordable car now very expensive one over time.

Take lots of detailed pictures and post them here, get brutally honest feedback from our resident experts then make an offer.

The most important thing on this car is the body--if it is straight and clean, the other problems are worth solving. If it ends up being a parts car, it might be best to pass on this one.

-B

--> 1968 2002 <--

"running" can mean "if I replace the fuel pump, battery, flush the fuel

system, fix some of the electrics that haven't worked in ages, and I'm not sure about the brakes (they are always seized- then leak after the first drive from 'storage?/? /?............... that's a $150 to $250 car

if you arrive and can start the car, drive it, it stops,

you drive it for 1/2 hour without smoking, over heating,

lights/wipers/horn/heater work ? ...... that's a $500 - 1500 car

it still needs paint, a interior that you can sit in for a few hours driving,

seats that springs don't tear your trousers.....$$$$$$$$$

and that leaves the condition or lack of - brakes, steering ,

suspension, exhaust, lights & lenses, radio, all window seals,

bearings, axles, trans, diff, cracked front subframe, mounts..........

How much money do you have to throw into this project?

how much time?, and can you do all the labor yerself?

And you must have indoor storage for this

30+ year old rust time bomb

Happy Tire Kicking

Take a steno pad for tons of notes, and a

camera to post your findings here

bmw02turborepairwPRAYERa.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Very good advice everybody. Thank you. I'm going to look at it in a couple hours. They're asking $2k firm, and I know I got my first one for $1500 that ran pretty well (10 years ago). I can do all the work myself and I'm taking my time (a couple years) so I'll be able to do it slowly and do it correctly, no rush jobs, as I want to make it perfect and own it forever. I guess I'm wondering, if the body is straight and there's no cancer, would $2k be too much?

I'll take pics and post after I drive it. Thanks again for the feedback!

Stephen

No, I didn't see that one anywhere...hmmm.

So I went to see the car and it looks pretty good from my inspection. I thoroughly went over and under the car with my flashlight and pocket knife and actually couldn't find any rust on the thing! A couple body dents that can be repaired without much fuss. She runs fine and idled there for twenty minutes while I inspected it with no problems at all. The car is red but used to be sahara, which is fine, since I'll be stripping it down anyway. It's been in her family since 75', which is pretty cool, and has some interesting stories in its history. I believe I'll be pulling the trigger tomorrow. Goodtimes. Thanks for all the advice!