• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dunlop Direzza DZ101 or Yokohama S Drive

Armond

Dunlops are 66 bucks each, S drives are 88 bucks from tire rack. Both have the same UTGQ rating. is one better than the other? NE1 have used both? 02 owner reviews appreciated. TIA

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

I have 15" Yoko S drive on my 74 tii (195/50-15) on 15" Rota RB wheels (ET 25 offset) and I love them. I can't speak for Dunlop Direzza's since I've never owned them or driven a car with them on it. I live in CA so my tii never sees snow or cold weather so where you live may factor in on what you eventually buy.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Yoko's; never liked the DZ101's. Or just spring for a set of Potenza RE-11's. Hands down my favorite tire for any sporty car. Great grip and wears like a champ. They are a little interesting in the rain.

Current: 1974 BMW 2002, 2004 VW R32, 2009 Infiniti FX35, & VW Eurovan Camper

Previously: 1970 BMW 2002, 1996 VW GTI, 1984 VW GTI, 1984 GTI

Can't speak to the Direzza DZ 101s, but I run Direzza Sport Z1s and really like them. As above, I live in a dry climate (to put it mildly) so can't speak to wet driving conditions, but otherwise I''m real pleased with them after a couple thousand miles.

Bob Napier

S Drive is a way better tire. The DZ101 and the DZ101 stat spec are good for spec class racing or lemons and thats about it. I have had 2 sets of s drives and they stick like glue and wear great for a 300 tread wear. 4 of my friends are running them on import cars and love them. If anything that dunlop is going to be loud down the road...IMO

For what it's worth, I have Direzza Star Spec's on my ti and man they are like tires made of Gorilla glue for the road.

i don't run a big enough rim to put this on the 02, but if i could the tires would never break from the road.

I don't know the difference between the two but if they are anything like it be ready for some stick.

Dave

Pittsburgh, PA

67.5 Datsun Roadster

72 2002 Colorado

89 325ix

99 318ti

04 x5 3.0

i bought a set of s.drives for my 02 as cheap rim protectors for street use when track tires aren't on the car. pleasantly surprized. actually handle pretty well. good enough for at top ten overall auto-x time at chapterfest with not much effort. (video)

2xM3

I have the star specs on my 02, 195/50/15. Bought them because they were the lightest 195/50/15 i could find. I think they are 18 pounds each.3 pounds lighter than the bridgestones in the same size. Anyway, they are really nice and predictable, very happy with them. Not sure if this correlates, but imho, the star specs are probably worth the extra bucks.

good luck,

bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3