• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manual Choke Cable

FunElan

Does anyone know the length for the stock manual choke cable? Once I put my webber on the cable was a couple inches short. I bought another one on here, and it's also a couple inches short. Anyone have creative ideas to "add" length to a choke cable? Or am I better off contacting blunt for a new one?

-Matt

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

to add a few inches to the piano wire cable, and make a longer bracket for the carb to hold the outer sheath in place.

I took a few inches of piano wire (any stiff wire will do) and used an old-fashioned electric wire splice to join the extra piece to the original cable. These splices consist of a brass tube with two small set screws on one side, all covered in plastic insulation. Poke a wire in each end and tighten the set screws.

Then take the old Weber outer sheath bracket and either make an extension for it, or make a new one that's long enough so the clamp on the end will reach the choke cable's outer sheath. I rigged mine up around 1979 when I installed my first Weber carb and it's still working quite well.

If you don''t care about having the original knob, just get a longer cable!

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

to add a few inches to the piano wire cable, and make a longer bracket for the carb to hold the outer sheath in place.

I took a few inches of piano wire (any stiff wire will do) and used an old-fashioned electric wire splice to join the extra piece to the original cable. These splices consist of a brass tube with two small set screws on one side, all covered in plastic insulation. Poke a wire in each end and tighten the set screws.

Then take the old Weber outer sheath bracket and either make an extension for it, or make a new one that's long enough so the clamp on the end will reach the choke cable's outer sheath. I rigged mine up around 1979 when I installed my first Weber carb and it's still working quite well.

If you don''t care about having the original knob, just get a longer cable!

cheers

mike

I forgot to mention I wanted to retain the original knob! Thanks Mike this is what I needed!

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

Matt how long does the cable need to be> I have a really cool choke cable with a turn and lock knob Id like someone to use. If its the right length Ill send for postage

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Hey Steve,

The cable has to be 40+ inches I believe. Turn and lock would be cool, that's what my dad's Lotus has. Will this cable accept the original mounting location/knob?? Thanks!

-Matt

nope sorry this is only 32 inches.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Ah bummer! thanks for offering though. Looks like I'm going the mike way for now, dad got me some stuff from the hardware store today.

Maybe try one from a RHD car (if they are still available?); it as to be a longer route than a LHD car.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17