• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My sweet 72 Golf Yellow 02 Laguna Beach,CA for Sale

SurferJim

For your consideration the fine gentlemen and ladies of this excellent club.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2287584892.html

A heartfelt " thank you" to this forum, you have helped before and have provided me with a wealth of technical information with your past posts.

My GF has drawn the line , needs & wants an auto box/modern car for our nights out & weekends. Yes, I know the joke already about women and classic cars going up for sale

Mainly, the demands of work have increased so my recreation time has now dwindled down to my first addiction... surfing. Thus, I placed " sunshine" up for sale Craigs list + BMCCA mag.

As I told one BMWCCA member who made me an low ball offer already , " this is the 02 I wished I bought 3 yrs and avoided the significant amount of time & $ ".

Thank you again, if you have questions my apologies before hand if I am not timely & delayed with my response.

Golf Yellow 1972 Roundie, Std, no mods ,no rust, no track days & restoration 95 % there

I like this one, it's an exact clone of my dad's '72 Golf. I learned to drive using his nearly-new '02. No restoration was needed back then. He said his was totalled pretty quickly by the next owner... :(

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

That is a very nice memory , mine is of my Dad's Austin Healey Sprite which never seem to start , Gee every hear of that with a Brit car ? LOL

Though when we went to see the 3000 to move up & trade my Mother talked him out of it...so now at shows I hover around big Healeys , yipes good ones are fairly high $ though .

And yes , countless times when getting gas or parking "Sunshine" in So Cal I have someone come up and relate a fond memory of their personal experience with 02's from across the world [literally].

Thank you for sharing the experience

Golf Yellow 1972 Roundie, Std, no mods ,no rust, no track days & restoration 95 % there

Guest Anonymous

I have been looking for a nice 2002 and saw this car at a surf spot near Laguna beach and went over to inspect, the owner was very friendly and showed me all the work done on his car. Wow , is all I can say what a clean car , and I wish I had the money to buy a completely done 02 model like this one . Super sweet little car.

Coloradosurfclub

Ha, I know the jokes have flown by me a lot, however she is a keeper [ THE GF] as she lets me surf when I want too.

BTW, once my 02 is sold , will probably move up to a M3 past yr 2002 with auto

Is there any years to avoid or even suggested yrs you would recommend ?

Thank you

If you get an E46 M3 I would stay well clear of the SMG transmission. They are notorious for problems and very, very expensive to fix (as in up to $10K). Of course, in your case you're trying to avoid a manual transmission, so maybe cross your fingers and hope for a solid gearbox...

But they also have other issues. Make sure the subframe recall work was done, or you're in for another huge and very expensive headache. And learn something about the VANOS problem (don't know much about it myself, just that it exists).

It's a shame, because the E46 M3s are great looking cars and, by all accounts, the S54 is an absolute gem of an engine. Surely, there are good, well-kept examples out there but I wouldn't buy one w/o a good PPI, as stated above. And I definitely wouldn't touch the SMG, which seems like a ticking time-bomb to me.

Why not teach the GF to drive stick? Or let her drive her own car w/ slushbox? It seems like everyone could be happy here with minimal effort on her part. ;)

Lovely '02, btw.

2010 128i

untitled2

Thank you very much .

Some very good detailed information on M3 , that is why I love this forum...the tech details just by reading helps everyone a significant amount !

Yep your spot on about looking for SMG M3 after reading your tech update...ugh

Yeah, actually GF does drive a stick , she had a 911 yrs. ago ,

, but since she is past 39 ":^) now her daily driver is a Merc 500 CLK conv. so that is the std which all cars are judged by.

A luxury autobahn car which has about much road " feel " as a rolling tank.

Thank you very much .

Some very good detailed information on M3 , that is why I love this forum...the tech details just by reading helps everyone a significant amount !

Yep your spot on about looking for SMG M3 after reading your tech update...ugh

Yeah, actually GF does drive a stick , she had a 911 yrs. ago ,

, but since she is past 39 ":^) now her daily driver is a Merc 500 CLK conv. so that is the std which all cars are judged by.

A luxury autobahn car which has about much road " feel " as a rolling tank.

I would avoid the SMG unless the car has an extended warranty. I have had 2 E46 M3's. If you buy an early model, make sure the rod bearing recall was done and documented (your local dealer can tell you from the VIN). The suspension was changed (much more comfotable) with the 05 model. If an auto is in your future, why not look at an E36 M3 and avoid the SMG. There are a couple of nice auto E36 M3's FS on the bmwcca on line classifieds.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

Guest Anonymous

Jim, I haven't seen this car around town. I live in North Laguna, drive a '73 Green Tii, a '72 White CS, and a '58 red 600. And I surf Creek, Rockpiles and Scotchmans. You need to drive your car more!! And don't sell it! Buy the GF a Corolla with an auto trans and store your car!!