• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why does it rain or snow after I wash a car?

jgerock

Last Wednesday night, I drove up past Hazleton, PA for a business meeting AM Thursday. On the way up, I ran into heavy rain, dense fog, then snow on Interstate 81. They had between 4-9" of snow and ice Wed. and Thursday. It was 22 degrees F and windy.

My Honda was a mess from that trip, so yesterday evening, I washed it and sprayed the underside to get rid of the crap.

Woke up this morning and we have snow covering the cars (still coming down) but not much accumulation.

I joke with my neighbors who see me washing the cars that I'm trying to make it rain or snow.

Oh well - I needed the exercise.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I can't answer your question... but man, call me before you do. Please? So I can prepare.

But I thought it ALWAYS rained or snowed in Ohio. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I have been to Ohio many times for business. The last two trips (Jan. and March) Ohio got snow.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

This March came in like a lion that never left and took a big dump on the lamb.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I know the feeling, super nice day in WA so I washed the 02, put it in my dads stall to wax it like usual and BAM soon as it's in it starts raining.... Not cool rain!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Tell ya what guys, there's a robin my backyard I think I may have to "relocate". After washing the car, he/she perches itself on the hood, walks around a bit; the windshied, roof, hood. I'm looking out the kitchen window as I'm washing a couple glasses, no biggie, the robin's just hopping on/off the car, I go outside and find robin doo-doo on the corner of the windshield, dripping down the fender. I rinse it off, about 15 minutes later, same robin, same thing., does this about 5 times throughout the early afternoon. I take the car out with the dog in it, his afternoon ride to the park, for a couple hours or so, come back home, about 15 minutes later, same robin ( yes, I know it's the same critter; big/fat bellied robin, probably the problem robin of the gang ) perches itself on the car again and doo-doo over the front again., put the car in the garage for the night but now have a shoe box ready and may have to start talking to some neighborhood outdoor cats, offer a little "incentive" if this guy keeps at it.

Tim

This March came in like a lion that never left and took a big dump on the lamb.

I was trying to find the John Belushi SNL bit about this.

We figured here in the SF bay area that March came in like a lion and out like a slightly different lion.

As for the chemistry between washing cars and rain, I figured this weekend I was doomed because the GoodGuys hot rod show was in town. Kudos to those rodders with enough cahones left to actually drive their damn cars in the rain! The rest of them should just do a trailer/tow rig show...that way they'd never have to pull the car out and get it dirty.

BTW, be glad you only washed your car. PatAllen decided to BBQ and look what happened up north.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes