• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I ordered the wrong gas tank somehow, what the hell?

bracohen

So I searched RealOem for my model 2002 Sedan 06/72 (before anyone tells me that I should search by my VIN it comes up as an 03/1988 Euro 318i with the M40 engine???) and found two tanks that looked almost identical to my current so I called to confirm with Maximillian I was ordering the proper one:

22.png

I was told that 1 is the euro version and 2 is the US version. So I ordered the number 2 tank but only three of the five screw holes line up with old spots to mount the tank. The other two aren't even close, I don't know how I fucked up but I somehow managed to as usual... please help me.

I was going to do this more than likely.

Will the sending unit be ok in this tank if I were to just hack it into my car?

Itll be fine and you dont have to hack it. I did this to mine when restoring it. Thats all thats available for your car. I redrilled and installed a later tii tank and nobody would ever be able to tell.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I was going to do this more than likely.

Will the sending unit be ok in this tank if I were to just hack it into my car?

Itll be fine and you dont have to hack it. I did this to mine when restoring it. Thats all thats available for your car. I redrilled and installed a later tii tank and nobody would ever be able to tell.

Hack was a harsh word, I know it won't even be noticeable. I should have searched, after I did I found similar stories. Thanks all as usual.

So I searched RealOem for my model 2002 Sedan

Bracohen, nobody will bark at you about the VIN - RealOem or the various other parts lookup sites do not recognize our old VINs, only the last 7 of a modern 17 digit Vin.

FYI - I have a new "older" stock early gas tank and I'm looking to even trade for a new squaretail gastank if anyone has a spare: (03/1966 to 04/1971) 16 11 1 107 663

-OR- if your tank is non returnable, cut me a cash deal.

GasTank_Inner.jpg

32.png

--> 1968 2002 <--

]

Bracohen, nobody will bark at you about the VIN - RealOem or the various other parts lookup sites do not recognize our old VINs, only the last 7 of a modern 17 digit Vin.

My 75 and 76 vins do show up. So some work, but I know the 73 and older dont, no idea about 74.

The later tanks carried I believe a few extra gallons and requre a later longer pickup...

+ On Richard's post.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.