• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

jack

dsiegel

Although I have the original jack for my 1969 1600, I do not use it for fear of damaging the rocker panels. Is there a replacement jack that anyone can recommend that would fit in the trunk spare tire well along with the wheel? I'm thinking about some sort of compact scissors jack, but I don't see how that would fit and perhaps someone has a better suggestion.

Thanks much.

David Siegel

a jack. In the first few months of ownership, I nearly broke my arm while adjusting brakes using that thing (I was younger and dumber then).

You should be able to find a small scissors jack from a Toyota or the like--if you're careful you can find one that has the proper lug wrench on the jack handle (I use one from a Renault R10, but they're pretty hard to find now). Store the jack by wedging it upside down between the top of the rear wheel arch and the underside of the package shelf. Tighten it just a little so it'll stay in place. Out of the way, won't rattle but easy to retrieve.

And don't jack the car on the rocker panel jacking points. Use the subframes.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

i remember cussing and swearing from embarrassment when trying to change a tire on a busy highway with that factory jack. i forgot to loosen the lug nuts before jacking it up, but it took to long to jack it up to go back. in any case, the car rolled forward and I looked like a complete idiot.

i'll be stealing the scissor jack from my nissan frontier once the car is drivable. i've also never forgotten to loosen the lug nuts since. :)

Call me crazy (cuz I know I am), but my factory jack still works perfectly fine in all my factory jacking points. No, I'd never truly trust it, and fully expect it to fall every time.

I normally use my floor jack anytime I need to lift the car. But on some occasions I need a quick lift while my only floorjack is busy supporting something else (like when I'm swapping tires from my Miata to my 02, or rotating tires front to back). I also try to slide a spare wheel or something under to catch the car if it does fall, or jackstands if there's room.

But for some reason that ole jack seems to still stand strong, even if I try to wiggle the car while it's on it.

I have had scissor jacks fail on me before, though, so I know what that's like (notably one time when it forced me to drive a Dodge Shadow on a bare steel rim a couple miles on an off-road trail in Hawaii).

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser